Running 2 preamps into one power amp???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookslikemeband

Reaction score
Can this be done (like on the Stereo power amps)?

And can each signal then go off into their own cab??

lookslikemeband said:

Of course, if you had a stereo PA you could go one preamp per channel. But, If you only have one input you would just need to blend the 2 preamps together prior to hitting the PA. Probably the best way to do this is to use a A/B/Y type box before the PA. My only concern would be the noise that might be generated if both preamps were on in a higher gain mode. Bottom line though, blending two preamps together into one poweramp will not be hurt the poweramp. Just might be mushy and noisy.

lookslikemeband said:

I'm not sure what you intend to do. Do you want to run one pre into one channel of the power-amp or blend the signal as described above?

I hope this doesn't sound too simplistic but you can do this easily with something like a Voodoo Labs GCX audio switcher.

I have a few Mesa heads I'm going to be mixing. The whole idea is to get "the best of both worlds" IMO = I want to blend the Recto sound with the MarkIV sound for the Ultimate Dirty channel.

One option:

I'm going to blend the signal of my DR with my MKIV for my dirty sounds.

Then pan (using my Ernie Ball Stereo Pan pedal) to another DR for clean.

Rack Option (the one in question:)

Mesa Recto Pre + Power amp blended with Mesa MarkIV for dirty
Mesa Studio Pre + Power amp for clean.

Again panned between the dirty sounds and the clean sounds.

As for Speaker Cabs - no worries there - each signal (all 3) with have their own 4X12

lookslikemeband said:
I have a few Mesa heads I'm going to be mixing. The whole idea is to get "the best of both worlds" IMO = I want to blend the Recto sound with the MarkIV sound for the Ultimate Dirty channel.

One option:

I'm going to blend the signal of my DR with my MKIV for my dirty sounds.

Then pan (using my Ernie Ball Stereo Pan pedal) to another DR for clean.

Rack Option (the one in question:)

Mesa Recto Pre + Power amp blended with Mesa MarkIV for dirty
Mesa Studio Pre + Power amp for clean.

Again panned between the dirty sounds and the clean sounds.

As for Speaker Cabs - no worries there - each signal (all 3) with have their own 4X12

I think this sounds good on paper but in reality I think you will find it to be a tonal mess and very noisy. Better off using separate PAs and speaker cabs to blend the sound in space before it hits your ears.

For a brief period I had both a Quad and a Soldano preamp in the same setup, with a MIDI Matrix controlling the switching to a 50/50. You could have either or both activated.

tiktok said:
For a brief period I had both a Quad and a Soldano preamp in the same setup, with a MIDI Matrix controlling the switching to a 50/50. You could have either or both activated.

Sounds cool! Did you have any hums or ground loops?

I have a Lehle P-Split to keep my signals separated...

No problem with hum/ground loop. But, it was overkill, so I ditched the Soldano.

Latest posts

Back