Roland Jazz chorus 120

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor414rce2003

Reaction score
whats your opinions on these amps, I have been offered an older model(late 80s) in MINT condition for $100 bucks,the clean is awesome but the distortion stinks,what box would work well for some realy nasty crunch? I will never get rid of my 50cal !! just want to add some toys to the jam room

Buy it. One of the best non-tube cleans around.
I wish someone would offer it to me but then again I play mostly clean or dirty clean.

that's an amazing deal, snap it up.

great cleans and takes pedals like you wouldn't believe.

There are only 2 legendary solid state amps.

That Roland, and the Gibson Lab Series L5.

Either is worth $100.00 bucks.

Buy it.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Get an A/B switch and forget about dirtying up the JC-120. Those amps are absolutely amazing and it just seems wrong to dirty one up. The nice thing is you can have a great clean sound without having to worry about the shared EQ on your .50.

I've owned one since about 1992. It's the best amp ever for 100% clean sounds. The trem/chorus on it is great. The distortion is horrible, but it's found its place in fusion to a degree. This amp is not distortion/od pedal friendly what so ever. This includes tube pedals/preamps (believe me, I've tried). It's a one trick pony, but a fantastic clean amp. It's a steal for $100.

Actually, I got really good 80s/90s alternative distortion sounds with an ME-10 (which had the DS-1 circuit, I think) straight into a JC-120 for years. Think "Achtung Baby" U2, NIN, Nephilim, that kind of thing. You won't get a "great tube tone," though.

Yeah, there's nothing like a JC-120 when it comes to LOUD cleans with headroom all the way up. They rule. Now I want one, thanks.

There's one on there right now for like $300 with two EVM12Ls in it but it's local pickup only. If you're in the LA area jump on that sucker.

devilrob1979 said:
There's one on there right now for like $300 with two EVM12Ls in it but it's local pickup only. If you're in the LA area jump on that sucker.

hahaha jesus christ would that thing ever be loud.

now i miss my old JC.

The other great thing about those amps is you get the most beautiful controlled feedback out of them.

if you really want to screw with your bandmates, crank it, roll your tone off just a bit, put the headstock on top of the amp (bang it down just hard enough to start the strings vibrating), just in front of the handle and about halfway over towards one side, and you can play that mofo like a synth.

You can do this with any amp, but with the JC you can really control exactly what's happening because it's this monstrously loud yet perfectly *clean* tone. Even an Ampeg VT4 will start overdriving and screeching a bit.

$100 is a smokin' deal on that amp.
If you don't buy it,I will.

The distortion channel really sucks...I mean *really* sucks but the clean/chours sounds are unrivaled,IMO.
I used to run a JC-120 with an A/B box as my clean channel.

I play through an A/B box. "A" goes to a Mesa DR and "B" goes to a rolland JC120 for clean, i got this old JC120 for about 250 $ and i really love it, now that i know how good it sounds i would be willing to pay a lot more than if i had to replace it. Many well known players who could play anything at any price use this amp for their cleans. The chorus is perfect. The distortion sucks, don't even lose time trying it. never use it with a distortion, i don't know if it would sound good but if you set the EQ to sound good with a distortion stombox than you will not use the amp at its best for clean, i think you definitly should buy it and use an A/B box to go to another amp for distortion

i've heard that there have been good and bad eras for that amp, not sure what the "good" years were though. but for 100 bucks? no brainer! it's hard to buy a good stomp box for that price these days. the fact that every modeling amp pays homage to the JC120 says something too, right?

for 100$ don't worry you're making a good move, if you don't loke it than just sell it and you'll probably get even more

Latest posts

Back