Rocked the Dyne tonight

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
Band practice tonight, brought the Dyne and my new 4x10. I also brought my F50 head in case of a repeat of last week...

Looks like the tubes held up. The combination of Dyne and 4x10 was FANTASTIC! I loved the feel and the tone, and found it SO easy to cut through the mix and get really nice percussive stuff going. The bass player kept telling me all night how much better I sound with this amp than my usual rack monstrosity.

I love it. Really scratchy and punchy and ALIVE. It really shined on stuff like old ZZ top. I really really like having HI/LO, vs. just dirty with/without EQ on the F50. Though the F50 has WAY more gain, so it will stay in my collection (unless I wind up getting the mini recto...)

Last night I A/B'd the 4x10 and a recto 1x12, and I prefer the 4x10 by a slight margin. They are pretty comparable and compatible, and running both together was nice as well, though not really necessary. The 4x10 actually fits in my car and is pretty light as well. It is a Mesa 410ABB-R according to the original showroom tag I found in the bottom of the cab.

This sounds VERY similar to my rehearsal with the Electra Dyne. It sounds so GUUUUDE and my drummer can't stop gushing about it.

Haha, with my modern high output bridge humbuckers I get plenty of gain with my Electra Dyne when I need it. If not, I roll back the volume knob to clean things up!! That being said, I haven't let my recto go yet for the same reason: it simply has an avalanche of gain on tap should I need it!

That's a really good point about the volume. In all the years I've played, I never used the volume knob for anything more than an on/off control. I have a habit of using too much gain, so the volume is useless. I am also using high gain pickups (EVO-7) with the Dyne, and I find I spend most of my time on LO. I can back off on the volume and get pretty clean without losing all the high end, or crank it and get a real nice crunch. I could probably live with just the one mode on that amp. Except that clean is SO nice, and HI is SO nice...

I love using the lo setting with guitar vol rolled off to get my cleans. I switch in the Suhr ISO boost and the high end stays in. Really cool!

Cheers Rich

Ya, clean is just so CLEAN and AWESOME. It is great for many shades of clean tone from round classic rock to jazz to country, and even the thwacky trebly 90s rhythm clean tones.

Vintage Lo is really what makes the Electra Dyne. If you set the volume (gain) control right on the amp you can go from clean with light picking right out into classic rock crunch by digging in a bit. The subtle overtones and layers of crunch are so deep and detailed you can literally get lost in it. I have fun adjusting my pickups and volume controls just for different tones. Now I REALLY want to coil tap the humbuckers in my Godin LG so I can get some of those scratchy classic single coil tones as well.

Vintage Hi is the compressed and thick high gain I'm used to working with and really, this is the reason I got an electra dyne in the first place. I just love the smooth creamy take on the classic boosted plexi tone. It is a great rhythm tone for hi gain music in the punk / hard rock camp and it really does the liquid violin type leads well too. When you scoop the mids a bit, the tone takes on a giant spread, but I prefer to boost the mids for playing live since it gives more of that classic rock tone and helps me to cut better. Less frequency space is better because it gives more room for the other players.

For pickups, I prefer hot passives for the bridge and a more PAF style pickup for the neck. This allows me to get searing lead tones as well as great blues and more classic tones. For MY tone, I prefer a Gibson Les Paul but with gigging and playing covers, the Godin LG has this hybrid blend of Les Paul / Strat that gives it much more of a chameleon characteristic. It is simply more versatile and flexible for covers. The thing can do smooth buttery cleans and if I thwack the strings a bit it starts getting into country territory which is very handy for those applications.

Latest posts

Back