Roaster: Head vs. Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveBorn2Rock

Reaction score
Hey,
It's gonna be a while before I can afford it but I played a roadster the other week and fell in love and as soon as I can afford it I plan on getting it.
However they only had a combo in the store and I loved it but I was wondering what people thought was a better value/what yields a better
sound, a head with a cab or the combo?

Thanks,

Dave

Depends on what cab you're going to use it with. I use my roadster head with a fairly undersized local brand cab (good quality, not some MDF crap haha) with V30's so that will clearly bias my view as will someone who plays it through a rectifier cab (oversized). For comparison mine is only a fingers width wider than the head.. so quite small... this will no doubt give it a different sound to a rectifier or, to a lesser extent, a standard cab.

If, at the time of buying it, I was able to ship a Roadster combo from the US to Australia for a reasonable shipping price I would have (only because its easier to cart around a combo than a 4x12 and head). The only reason chose the head was because the shipping cost was MUCH less.... so basically this long rant was my way of saying IMO I dont think it would make much of difference trying to figure out which would sound better... I'd base it more on convenience.. ie could you see yourself carting around 2 heavy pieces of equipment (4x12 & head) or one piece (combo).

Although with the combo you can always buy a cab to run it through if you change your mind.

By the way... LOVE THE ROADSTER! good choice

I hope you work out... the combo weights in around 100 pounds. I prefer the head/cab route, for portability, ease of moving, and more cab customization.

MetalMatt said:
I hope you work out... the combo weights in around 100 pounds. I prefer the head/cab route, for portability, ease of moving, and more cab customization.

Haha ya that's part of what I was curious about (I'm pretty scrawny) but it's definitely cheaper to get the combo then to get a head and a cabinet so are there any other bonuses to going with the head? i.e. is it easier to maintain, change tubes etc.?

i prefered the head of the combo.... when i demo'd both i found the combo to be a little loose and a little boomy..... with the head you can pair it with a cab that gives you the tone you want

I have the combo and it is a heavy piece of gear to lug around but....it does have wheels and the side handles make it easy to haul or have someone on the other end. The head has the top handle only but i think its about 40lb lighter or so. I also have the roadster 2x12 cabinet which only has the top handle, and weighs about 50+ lbs. So head and cabinet vs combo becomes more an issue of portability. I like that the combo has wheels so i only have to bring it in the front door of the club, then i stack my extension cabinet on it plus my backup amp head and toolbox and pedal board (its about 6' tall by that time lol!) and wheel it to where i need it. I don't find the combo boomy at all, but you'd probably want to put an eq in the loop with just a slight V shape. Great amp though, i smile every time i look at it, you won't be sorry if you get one.

In my experience demoing Roadsters before throwing down, I liked the combos (2), but really fell in love with the sound of the head through a roadster 212. I have demoed several guitars through a combo recently, but the 3 and 4th channels are looser than I am used to. Dont get me wrong, the combo is a great piece of kit, but I prefer the head.

Laskyman

I used to be a diehard combo fan.... But I wanted the Stiletto Deuce which doesn't come in a combo form. The traditional MESA 2x12 cabinets (Stiletto & Roadster) are small and in this head/cab setup is about the same size as a combo but is in two parts. It's a way easier to move than even my old MKIV combo, and , doesn't break my back like moving the 66 lbs MKIV did. The Roadster is a lot heavier than the MKIV was too! The other thing is I love being able to mix and match cabinets with the head.

Even on wheels, when transporting it, you'll need to lift it at some point.

I recommend a 2x12 rectifier cab and head. I'm in the Hilliard area and have both a 4x12 and 2x12 if you want to check them out if your close.

Running a DSL 50 head currently though.

Latest posts

Back