Roadster wiped the floor with the Roadking!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can we sum this up by saying

Roadster - Great Amp (its not a Road King)
Road King - Great Amp (its not a Roadster)
Try em and see which one YOU like.

Now go play your guitar!!! :wink:

TheBlackman said:
So can we sum this up by saying

Roadster - Great Amp (its not a Road King)
Road King - Great Amp (its not a Roadster)
Try em and see which one YOU like.

Now go play your guitar!!! :wink:

+1000000000000000000

I can not believe this thread even went this long.

Dom

I will rest by saying IMHO unless you want a rectifier sound for distortion and LSC cleans, the Mark IV is the better amp for leads in any gain environment.

I think the point is that with such miniscule differences that are barely detectable, a statement like "one amp wiped the floor with another" is unfounded. If one sounds better to you, great. But barring the tiny differences that our in house expert CET is talking about, they should sound similar enough that he had to have had a defective RK or not really had all the setting dialed the same. Either way, it doesn't matter. If he likes one more than the other, it shouldn't need justification (but it also can't be used as an indisputable, all Road King or all Roadster encompassing claim.)

Ciao, as that one smart *** says.

gearHead said:
I will rest by saying IMHO unless you want a rectifier sound for distortion and LSC cleans, the Mark IV is the better amp for leads in any gain environment.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you want.

Yeah, to be honest with you, I went for the Roadster because I wanted John Petrucci's Train Of Thought tone, which he used a RK I on. But then looking into it, I didn't need 2 FX loops, I was only gonna have 1 cabinet, and I don't like the EL-34 sound. So, the choice was clear. Well, not exactly, I obsess over everything. But in the end, I made a great choice.

I hated the Mark III I bought in 1985 or 6.

I hated my subway rocket reverb (too boxy and that contour control).

Loved my Blue Angel 4x10.

Really liked my Tremoverb (except for the weight).

I looked at a RK1 2x12 combo. Used. Low price. No wheels. Lifted it. Well, tried to lift it. Walked away. ;-)

Just got a DC3 and like it.

Just got a Maverick 1x12 combo and like it a lot. Maybe best.

What does this all mean? Buy more amps! ;-)

My $.02

Progressive Linkage provides the utmost control over tone and I probably wouldn't get as many compliments on tone as I do without it.

Whenever someone tells me "I don't need progressive linkage" I shake my head because guitar players are always buying and selling amps because they're still looking for some tone in their head. Progressive linkage gives you more versatility than any amp available so you'd think everyone would want it. I think while some people may really not "need" it, they only don't "need" it right now. I bought the RKII because I KNEW that if I got a Roadster, I'd love the Roadster and wonder how much better it would be if I had an RKII. Now I don't have to wonder.

Lots of people don't use an amp with a progressive linkage. I bet there are people that have sold the Road King II to get another amp.

Ciao ...

Storm said:
Lots of people don't use an amp with a progressive linkage. I bet there are people that have sold the Road King II to get another amp.

Ciao ...

That's my point. People don't really know what they need more often then not. What they really need is to cure GAS.

I've bought and sold that much stuff over the few years I've been playing. I've gone back to the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid). So now I run the Roadster with the FX loop bypassed and three stompboxes, that's it. GAS get's a pain in the wallet but gawd it's so much fun to get and try out new gear. I kinda miss my Boss GT-8 though ;)

Ciao ...

Back