Roadster VS MArk IV which one (if same price)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
If you could get a used Mark IV head or a used Roadster head in the same condition for basically the same price which one would be the better one to grab? (both in very good to mint condition)

I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on this thread.

To open the conversation regarding your question, the answer entirely depends on what you are going to use the amp for.

Both are serious amps, man. They're very different. Only you can know what's best for your musical styles. Fill us in on where you are musically and maybe we can help.

well I play a lot of 7 string metal, (Nevermore, Dream theater etc) but I also play alot of shred stuff, like Greg Howe, Kotzen, Satch, Vinnie Moore etc.
I actually have the opportunity to grab a mint (basically brand new) single rectoverb with a boogie 2 X 12 cab for a great price, but I don't know if that would handle what I'm looking to do.
I've never had the opportunity to play thru a Mark IV (and I just can't go down to the store and try one because no one in Boston carries them, you have to special order it).
I currently am playing thru a JSX head and frankly I think I want the Mesa that sounds as least like the JSx as I can get. I like the JSX but why bother getting something that sounds similar?

I think the JSX is an EL34 based amp...so the Mark IV or the Roadster won't sound too similar to the JSX because they're based on different power tube designs.

Keep in mind the Mark IV has a simul class option and the roadster has the option to select EL34's, but I still think these amps sound very different than the JSX when these options are used.

If you really like Dream Theater, go with the Mark IV..it'll probably cover just about everything you want to do with the Lead channel. If you value really good clean tones, the Roadster may be the better option, although its lead channels won't cut through like a Mark IV. Most people get a boost pedal for this.

You can go EL34 or 6L6 with the JSX.
I currently have mine running with KT-77's and it sounds the best to my ears that way.
I noticed that you can go EL34 /6L6 on the Rectoverb as well. I've got the chance to grab a basically brand new one for a great price and I'm wondering if I should?

Mark series for smoother leads, Recto for agressive tones. I've heard the roadster do some neat smooth leads, and agressive tones as well.

Mark series can also do agressive tones, but recto does have a slight edge. Vice-versa for smooth leads.

A lot of guys use a TS808 or ToneBone Hotbritish with their Recto's to get the british vibes and smoother leads.

-D

kmanick said:
You can go EL34 or 6L6 with the JSX.
I currently have mine running with KT-77's and it sounds the best to my ears that way.
I noticed that you can go EL34 /6L6 on the Rectoverb as well. I've got the chance to grab a basically brand new one for a great price and I'm wondering if I should?

I want a rectoverb. Ever since I played one (head through 412) I was simply amazed with the useable headroom and the surprisingly brutal gain. I could get some nicer crunchy leads out of the Pushed setting which sound better than the Rhythm channel on my 5150, and also get a wicked lead with the Vintage setting. The modern setting gave a more pronouced brutalness to the sound, and scoops some of the mids. I don't have a favorite channel on that amp really, which is a first for me. They are all VERY useful. Far better and more articulate than my 5150 - which is by far a great amp. The rectoverb is the next amp I am buying - period.

When I tried it out again last weekend at the music store, I played for so long I forgot my car was parked illegaly and got a $40 parking ticket. I had been there for at least 2 hours. I tried 3 guitars: Epiphone LP, Godin w/emg81/85, and Ibanez RG with trem. They all sounded awesome, especially the Godin. The neck pickup was just pouring tons of beauty on the pushed setting at low gains, and the bridge sliced at mid-gain. My leads actually sounded awesome through that amp. Anything I played just felt so much better, like the amp was reacting to my every finger, but still saturated perfectly.

On the drive back home, I realized, to my surprise, that I hadn't even tried the reverb knob the whole time! There was no reverb at all, and I was just in "la la land" with the tone. ->Thats impressive.

-D

Your guitars are gonna make a big difference in which one will get you the sound you're after. I'd personally go for the Roadster because- 4 completely independent channels, nice reverb, lonestar cleans, 50/100 watt per channel, and the tone! The mark IV is great, but not my cup of tea. Either one should get you what you're after, just depends on what you want out of your amp.

Back