Roadster reverb surge (??)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
With the amp's reverb on, switching from CH4 to CH2 creates a surge of reverb. Anyone heard of such a thing happening?

No one else is having a similar problem? Or is my description too vague? I'm calling Mesa later to see what they say about it...

Haven't really noticed on mine. Ch 2's reverb does seem more predominent than the others.

Is this happening with the channel settings I suggested? The maxed channel master may be driving the reverb tube into microphonics if it is borderline already.

Have you tried replacing V4 (reverb driver/return) to see if anything changes?

Dom

Whenever goin from dirty to clean on my RKII the reverb fades back in in a whistly strange way. But it's a cool little sound! it;s only if your verb is prety up there. just turn it off when u switch channels and theres a gap for your playing on the clean

Same thing happened with my RKII when I owned it. It was present when switching between any channel. Basically the reverb is really quiet and it just 'volumes up' almost like a wave, but then sounds normalized. The point is, it's normal.

Just got off the phone with Mesa, and he assured me there is nothing 'wrong' with the amp and that it is normal. I DO have the master all the way up so as to keep the gain down so the channel is as clean as possible in channel 2, so maybe that is the problem like dom mentioned. That is the only channel I have the master dimed on and also the only channel that has this problem.

I'll play with it some more and see if i can reduce the amount of swell (or surge) when switching channels. I'm not a huge reverb user, but I'd like to know that I can use it without worrying about the odd space station sound that is emitted.

Thanks guys...

Adam

Not having that problem with mine. The only thing that's questionable, reverb-wise about my amp...and I think this would happen with any tube amp with spring reverb...if the amp gets bounced around or shaken while it's on, you can hear the springs jiggling in the audiostream...but that also happens with my '65 fender deluxe reverb. So either they have the same problems, or it just happens.

So, I've tried everything and the reverb swell is still there only in Channel 2. Very weird. I love it regardless...

Anyone with some insight please let me know...

So, I fiddled around some more and have made the problem less apparent although still there. I had the reverb in 3 and 4 channels about 1 'o clock and so I backed them down to about 9 or 10 and that seemed to help when switching to ch2. Apparently the difference in reverb levels was making it have to 'release' some of the reverb in the form of a swell. That's all I can figure. lowering the master on ch2 also helped. Now if i could only get rid of the ch3 popping! :wink:

Later taters...

Back