Roadster Recall ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I just got back from GC in my quest to purchace a Roadster. My GC said they had one but when it came in they had to take it to a Mesa service center to get fixed??? They said there's a recall on all the early Roadster models and said it's a bad solder joint??? I said I pass and wait for a later model. Anyone know what the deal is on this recal and what serial #'s are involved. Thanks for any info.

francric said:
Not a recall..........

Right but it may or may not affect longevity of the amp. It is a worthwhile mod that involves either adding 1 resistor or changing the value of a resistor. Simple mod that should take less than an hour to perform and should be done under warranty. I've even read that Mesa is supplying the part for users to do the mod themselves.

disassembled said:
francric said:
Not a recall..........

Right but it may or may not affect longevity of the amp. It is a worthwhile mod that involves either adding 1 resistor or changing the value of a resistor. Simple mod that should take less than an hour to perform and should be done under warranty. I've even read that Mesa is supplying the part for users to do the mod themselves.

Absolutely do the mod i'm not saying not to.........it is a resistor that they need to add. I'm just saying it's not recall.

Boogiebabies said:
It's a service campain. I am still waiting for the RK II channel pop fix.

The guy at the GC cycled through all the switches on the RK(he pushed all the buttons on the footswitch) while it was on standby. I asked what he was doing and he said you have to do that, otherise it will make a popping noise when you change channels. When I used the amp it didn't pop. Maybe you've tried this already, maybe not. thanks for al the info to all.

My roadster is quiet if I cycle through the switches while on standby.........

So, what you are trying to say is, HaHa, your the only goof with a RK II that pops?

If I hear that I have to cycle through the switches again, which I have know about for over 6 years, I will be forced to take my own life by placing my tongue on the plates !!!! :D

Good Lord, I would rather cycle through France on steroids.

Boogiebabies said:
So, what you are trying to say is, HaHa, your the only goof with a RK II that pops?

If I hear that I have to cycle through the switches again, which I have know about for over 6 years, I will be forced to take my own life by placing my tongue on the plates !!!! :D

Good Lord, I would rather cycle through France on steroids.

That's hysterical but not what I meant.........Obviously you have way more experience with this than me. I'm guessing from your post that eventhough we cycle it can still pop now and then..............

Hey Francric,

Since Mesa introduced the new Dual Rectifiers and their newest version in channel switching there has been a pop when cycling through the footswitch.
On the early 2000 three channels, like I had, the pop never went away even after the footswitch was cycled through. Mesa said it was normal. I was so annoyed, I sold it.
When the opportunity to get a Road King came up, I grabbed one and it popped through the first cycle and was dead quiet after that. When I heard about the upgrades to the RK II I was thrilled that CH. 1 was revoiced and it would have real tube reverb and not 15 transistors so I replaced the RK I with the RK II. Sadly, it was a 4 month wait, but worth it even though it pops. It only pops going from 4 modern to 3 vintage, but it does it every time. Mesa knows about it an is working on a fix. The amps sounds so good I am keeping it. I just saw some humor in how many times I have heard of the miracle fix of cycling the footswitch. Sadly, it does not work for everyone and some guys with the RK II dont have this problem. The only reason I am fussing about it because it is all due to the switching design and a .12 cent J175 switching transistor.

You would think they would have solved this issue...it's got to really suck in a live situation.......

Boogiebabies said:
MetalMatt said:
Boogiebabies...it the pop really that bad?!

Yes, it's loud. It happens regardless of the cycling before power up.

Is yours totally quiet?

My RKII is quiet and I have been gigging regularly with it for 2+ months. I have not heard any popping at all.

Back