Roadster Pre Amp Tube Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I know this has been asked a million times, so sorry for asking again. I tried looking up old posts.
The pre-amp tubes in my Roadster head are about due for a change. I am looking for an alternative to Doug's Tube kit. Without breaking the bank, I would really appreciate some advice on what tubes sound great.
A little info:
I don't play in a metal band so I am interested in more of a great tone than face melting gain. We play anything from disco to rock. I do want to have plenty of gain on tap though. I also need a creamy lead tone that isn't harsh.
My main tone comes from channel 3 on Vintage. Channel 1 on Tweed & Channel 2 is on clean. Channel 4 is either for high gain or a lead setting. My main guitar has Doug Aldrich pickups in it.
I appreciate any help that can be given!!

jhguitar1 said:
.............. The pre-amp tubes in my Roadster head are about due for a change........

Is the amp making strange noises or not performing properly? Pre-amp tubes last a very long time.

Are you not happy with the amp's tone, or are you just looking to fine-tune it?

Dom

The amp is not making any noises, but is starting to sound a little "flat" for lack of a better term. Could just be my ears. I am looking to fine tune it though. The tubes are probably a year or 2 old.

Usually it's the power tubes that tend to go away at first. Preamp tubes last a long, long time. The pre's do have more of an effect on the basic tones of the amp channels, though.

Depends on who makes them, generally 1000-2500 hours, also depends on the amount of voltage and current they are drawing at idle, known as the bias setting. Some power tubes can last much longer than that. Kinda hard to predict.

Those are a pretty decent power tube. It is normal to lose a bit of top end after a while, but you should be able to get what you want from the tone knobs. If you want to learn more about different preamp tubes, including vintage old stock or new old stock (VOS, NOS) take a look at previous threads, you might have to scan back a couple pages worth. Tons of stuff has been posted here.

Latest posts

Back