Roadster owners - please give your honest opinion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've said it already, but I'll say it again. No problems here as a Roadster owner, still going strong... 8)

I noticed my roadster popping on ch3 until I changed ch3 to modern, and put ch4 to vintage. Since then, I haven't noticed it at all.

It's a fantastic amp, I have never regretted the purchase, ever!

by the way; has anyone put EL34? Does the amp get any better? which chanel or mode? :?:

kryho said:
by the way; has anyone put EL34? Does the amp get any better? which chanel or mode? :?:

I haven't yet... I was waiting until I ordered some new tubes and I was going to pick up some EL34s and experiment.

thejay said:
kryho said:

I haven't yet... I was waiting until I ordered some new tubes and I was going to pick up some EL34s and experiment.
Ok, please share your impressions when you do. I wish it were more marshallish without loosing boogie recto style :mrgreen:

I could be crazy, but I've always felt I could dial in a more modded Marshall like tone on my Roadster. I reckon with EL34s, it would be brighter and the bass would be more tucked...

kryho said:

I've got Tung-Sol EL34b's in mine and love it. The cleans sparkle more, Brit mode on channel 2 sounds absolutely fantastic, and channels 3 and 4 are tighter and have more crunch without the typical Recto buzzsaw fizz.

I could be crazy, but I've always felt I could dial in a more modded Marshall like tone on my Roadster. I reckon with EL34s, it would be brighter and the bass would be more tucked...

I like EL 34's with the roadster- still Recto aggression, but the lows were tamed a bit and definately not as buzzy. I thought they made the brit mode at least usable (personally I think the mode is useless with 6l6's), but the cleans were not as nice as stock 6l6's.
I didn't have the opportunity to try any other tube than Mesas though- so YMMV..

Laskyman said:

I like EL 34's with the roadster- still Recto aggression, but the lows were tamed a bit and definately not as buzzy. I thought they made the brit mode at least usable (personally I think the mode is useless with 6l6's), but the cleans were not as nice as stock 6l6's.
I didn't have the opportunity to try any other tube than Mesas though- so YMMV..

Have you tried 3 o'clock for both gain and treble with 6L6 in the Brit mode? Sounds great for that Marshall Vintage Modern tone, only better and fatter...

Laskyman said:

Try some JJ KT77s... brinsg the same characteristics you love in the el34s but with the 6l6 girth and cleans

jdurso said:
Try some JJ KT77s... brinsg the same characteristics you love in the el34s but with the 6l6 girth and cleans
Just curious...how should there be bias set then? Thre's only 2 positions...

Nope, KT77's are a direct replacement for EL34's, so that's the bias setting you'd wanna use

Metaltastic said:
Nope, KT77's are a direct replacement for EL34's, so that's the bias setting you'd wanna use

Yup... just make sure you get the JJ KT77s from Eurotubes because they select the tube to match the bias of your amp in el34 mode. If you just picked up random KT77s they may be biased too hot for your amp, even in el34 mode.

Latest posts

Back