Roadster or what?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gia

Reaction score
Hello all,

Rect-o-verb owner from Montreal here, posting for the first time.

I'm having a good time with my ROV, and I enjoy its versatility but I have the feeling I never ever got the tones I'm looking for.

I am thinking of swapping my ROV2 for a Roadster, more probably. I wonder if another amp (or two) could meet my needs in a more efficient way.

More and more I narrow my playing in rather straight RnR (Stones, NY Dolls, The Stooges, George Thorogood, The Who, proto punk, blues). I'd like to be able to nail a variety of old fendery and Marshally tones.

I tried the Roadster at a store and I really digged its two first channels (Lonestar and Stiletto). I'd be glad to get those two preamps alone...

That makes me wonder, maybe I could just get a 60's fender and some Marshall amp...

I never tried a Roadking but I like the idea of having a very versatile a potent amp I could keep forever (I hear myself thinking this abouit the ROV). I don't see myself as one of the 'more educated players' who gracefully navigate through the options. I'd have a lot of trial and error tweaking ahead of me...

So heres a few straight questions here:

1- Do you know a 'fender/ marshall in one' amp other than the Roadster or RK2? How is the lone star?
2- Who here favors the Road King to the Roadster? WHo thinks I should be a man and face the power options/ progressive linkage affair?
3- Who thinks I should venture out of the mesa homestead?

I'll hold the other questions for now.

thanks in advance for your input,
Jf

Welcome Gia.

I am looking at buying a Roadster as well, for several of the same reasons you have mentioned. I currently own a Dual Rec and a ROV.

The reason why I want the Roadster are for channels 1 and 2 as well. Although I would probably use channels 3 and 4 the most because I play a lot of hard rock and metal. I play in a hard rock cover band so versitility and options are very important to me. The channel assignable power rating (50 or 100 watts) is a huge plus for me as well. I think you'll start to see a lot more multi-wattage amps coming along.

If you're hesitant about the progressive linkage on the Road King, you might want to stick with the Roadster. It's a $600 option that unless you're going to fully utilize, might be a waste of money. You can always switch out the 6L6's in the Roadster for EL34's if you prefer.

You could probably find other amps to accomplish what you want for less money, but probably not in the same package. If you play in a band (or have intensions to play in a band in the future) you might want to go with the Roadster and get it all in one package. I would never steer anyone away from buying a Mesa because I think they are great sounding, well-made amps. But for what you're looking for, you might be able to pick up a used Fender and Marshall for less money. Maybe some of the Lone Star owners here will chime in and let you know if a LS will accomplish what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks G.I.G.

Seems like we are indeed at a similar crossroad regarding amps. And our nicknames have two letters in common.

you love the stilleto section of the preamp, and i must say for what you are goign for as for as distorted tones, the stilleto is REALLY spot on, i have a series 1, bought it for 850 bucks, havent regretted it EVER, it is seriously gnarly and old school sounding, and i much prefer the build quality of mesas then new marshalls, and i mean anything newer then 2203 (the precursor to the jcm 800, same basic design in a old jmp style head and without the "hotter" components)

plus anything jcm 800 or 900 even or older is not cheap nowadays, kinda lame, figuring you could get the ******* of the marshall family (the 900) for 400 bucks for the 100 watt head just a couple of years ago

anyway seriously, stiletto and lone star are excellent options, without a doubt, and the roadster of course is bad ***

stay with mesa, its truly the best, and it costs like 100 more then comparable marshalls and its way better

I... can't resist.... GAAAAASSSSS .... mUST.... bUY .... rOAdster

Back