Roadster Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuveu

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

French owner of a roadster head since 1 week. I have got some problem when I switch to the channel 3 from the channel 1 or 2, which can be sum up like a big pop or an electric clac

I read a lot of topic about that. It seems that many of US roadster owner have contacted Mesa to fix it.

Here in france this issue has not been really underlined yet as this amp appeared few month ago

Well I would like to know if a solution has been found
\
Thanks for your help

reuveu

A lot of people here have commented on this pecularity of the circuit and I'm not sure there's a "fix". I cycle through the channels with the my tuner on mute before I let loose with the volume, this tames the pop when the amp is active. I don't use the fx loop, the tuner switch pops worse than the channel switching.

My F-50 does that too. Someone suggested changing the v1 preamp tube to fix that issue. I still have to try that.

Boogiebabies Road King has the same problem and he did change the preamp tubes and its still doing the same thing.

I really don't know what else to say. Mesa has to fix their amps.

I about to buy a Road King II head and im afraid its going to have the popping thing and I can't stand it.

What to do guys?

barneyc4 said:
My F-50 does that too. Someone suggested changing the v1 preamp tube to fix that issue. I still have to try that.

Boogiebabies Road King has the same problem and he did change the preamp tubes and its still doing the same thing.

I about to buy a Road King II head and im afraid its going to have the popping thing and I can't stand it.

What to do guys?
Do you find it's not manageable by cycling though the channels before you switch from standby?

I have a brand new RK II Combo, and it DOES NOT exhibit any of the popping traits reported in this forum -- seamless, quiet switching from and between channels. :)

ol4t said:
barneyc4 said:

What to do guys?
Do you find it's not manageable by cycling though the channels before you switch from standby?

Before I cycle the chanels I hear lound pops, after I cycle the chanels I still hear pops but not as loud.

My Roadster has perfectly clean channel switching-no pops at all.

No switching problems here with my Roadster. I did notice a pop just once when I was switching the mini toggle switch from vintage to modern once but that seemed to be a one time thing and I didn't worry about it. Other than that very clean channel switching.

I had this issue when I originally bought the roadster, solution at that time was to cycle through the channels while on standby.
Eventually the problem just went away and now it doesn't make any noise at all.

oyster said:
I had this issue when I originally bought the roadster, solution at that time was to cycle through the channels while on standby.
Eventually the problem just went away and now it doesn't make any noise at all.
Maybe you're just deaf now! :lol:

I just bought a roadster 2x12 last week. I scroll through the channels on standby and keep the output level on zero and still get pops when i first turn standby off. Has anyone here spoken to Mesa directly about this and if so what was their explanation? It only seems to happen on some of the amps which worries me. How is your fan noise ? mine seems louder than normal.

i had the roadster 2x12, just returned it and waiting for the roadster head to come in. i had the popping noise w/ the channels but cycling thru worked for me. my tuner mute seems to pop tho, but i dont use it so no big deal. i would love hear mesa's explanation.

I just spoke with Marcus @ Mesa Boogie regarding the popping noise....and here was his explanation, paraphrased:

"This happens when switching to a channel with a different Recto/Diode setting. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. You can avoid the popping by trying to match the recto settings."

As for the popping from the tuner, he tried to explain, but admitted that the pop is there....said they noticed that it became more prominent if one continuously clicked the switch. And that the pop was not as bad if you switched it once, tuned your guitar and then switched it off.

But IMHO, the Tuner explanation was a bit lame. I think this is a bug that made if out of the R&D and production QC. :cry: :(

"This happens when switching to a channel with a different Recto/Diode setting. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. You can avoid the popping by trying to match the recto settings." = FALSE, I use only tube rectifier and my Roadster pop all time !!!

Coeur de Blues said:
"This happens when switching to a channel with a different Recto/Diode setting. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. You can avoid the popping by trying to match the recto settings." = FALSE, I use only tube rectifier and my Roadster pop all time !!!

Yeah, I got the impression, I was being fed some BBQ'd Bull too, but that was the explanation. :shock:

I don't get the popping noise on my RK II, but do get the tuner pop.

thanks for the info. maybe it really is just something they can't get rid of? i dunno, its not a huge problem for me, but one thing i did notice when i got my mesa was a tiny delay when switching channels... is this normal? i read something about when the reverb is on, theres a delay for the reverb when switching channels, but i assumed that u'd switch the channel and the reverb would go out for a fraction of a second then come back on. also, i played an orange rockerverb 50 the other day and it sounds pretty rad. anybody heard those things?

Someone should send this thread to Mesa.

This issue really annoys me. Im afraid of buying another Mesa now because of that pop. I already have an amp that does it (f-50) and it bugs the hell out of me.

?????

It's useless to complain about it here and not reported to Mesa. I reported my problem and follow up weekly for a resolution.

After I got my Roadster head I started noticing the shotgun goin off popping also. I called Mesa and at first they tried to say " You can't hear when the amp is turned up though-only when your in front of it at low volumes" I was'nt havin it man.We went back and forth about it for a few days and I sent it to Mesa( Only to Mesa cause the repair place near me was on a 5 week wait!). It was really bad and would not go away after channel cycling. So I sent it to Mesa and they had it for about two weeks and called me about my settings and what I had heard and were very professional about it. They said they upgraded my capacitors and it is fine now. When I got it back I plugged it in and cycled through the channels and no more pop.(thank god) HOWEVER, if I don't cycle through the channels in standby FIRST it will pop hardcore style. I called them again and was worried it was damaging to my speakers and they said it was'nt. The reason they gave me for this pop was the third channel is the first in the gain stage and the popping was static buildup that needed to be released.

Latest posts

Back