Roadster Head or Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francric

Reaction score
I just got a roadster 1x12. It's a bit on the heavy side but manageble. I was wondering, does anyone know the weight difference between the head and combo? Also, what's the price difference if you got the head with the matching 2x12 cab? Thanks.

francric said:
I just got a roadster 1x12. It's a bit on the heavy side but manageble. I was wondering, does anyone know the weight difference between the head and combo? Also, what's the price difference if you got the head with the matching 2x12 cab? Thanks.

Congrats!

this link has all of the prices.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3101

Dimensions and weights are in the back, but the roadster is not listed. I have the roadster head and would guess it weighs about 50 lbs.

Ok, got my own answer, 1x12 combo, 94lbs :shock: the head 56lbs. Who else is carting around a 94lb combo amp?

I'm toating around a 125 pound combo amp...... The RK (series I). If I could go back and do it again I'd get the head/2x12 cab set up so my back doesn't hurt every weekend. Luckily the RK combo is on casters (doesn't help with the stairs for the 2nd story gigs w/o an elevator).

I can't wait to try out a Roadster 1x12 combo (still 30 pounds lighter) or even find a local trade for a RK head/cab for my combo.

francric said:

Head, head, head! Buy a head, it has more tone. You're better with a 2X12 and a head, especially if you like to play heavy stuff. No compromise.

tele_jas said:
I'm toating around a 125 pound combo amp......

Holy Crap!, I cried like a baby whenever I had to carry my MK IV, Imbuya, EV combo around. Maybe Hans & Franz were talking about me being the Girly Man. That's why when I got the RK, it had to be a head & cab.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I tried loading it into my truck today because I was taking it back for them to do the mod and realized that suka was just too heavy. So I ordered a head and 2x12 cab. Now the wait............

soundpurist said:
francric said:

Head, head, head! Buy a head, it has more tone. You're better with a 2X12 and a head, especially if you like to play heavy stuff. No compromise.

I do like the heavy stuff..........

francric said:
soundpurist said:
francric said:

I do like the heavy stuff..........

I like heavy stuff too and imagine, i've sold my 2X12 and I bought a 4X12...

But if you like it loud, the 2X12 can get louder cause the power is concentrate in a 2X12. Don't think a 4X12 is not loud too, you just have increase the output volume at 12:30o'clock and the channel vol. at 4 or 5o'clock. I use to play with a solohead 50 in a 2X12 and it's was too loud! When I change for a 4X12 the volume was just nice with a lot of low end.
Go and check it in the store if the have the patience to bare a real heavy loud sound. With my solo50 i was using a G-major and it sound really great. Now i have an eclipse with recto pre and a 2:100...I know I know it's too loud...I just wanted everything in rackmount not a processor, a head and a bunch of wire.

One thing a never tried, the roadster should be powerfull enough, plug both 4ohms output of the head in a 2X12 and a 4X12(8ohms input). It should be nice! Like this you can keep your 4X12 in a local (for playing loud if you like too) and you could bring the 2X12 anywhere for giging...Just a suggestion if you have money...

francric said:
Ok, got my own answer, 1x12 combo, 94lbs :shock: the head 56lbs. Who else is carting around a 94lb combo amp?

I think that my Mark IV combo is close while sporting the EVM-12L in it. I find it rather heavy sometimes. Then again the Mark IV seemed so compact and dense already but the size always fooled the mind. I don't care that it feels so heavy in the combo because I don't move it much. It sits perched up on my 1x12 extension cabinet and there it stays.

Dang, I just got a call and they said it would take 10 to 12 weeks to get the head............. :(

WOO HOO, I got the call and picked it up. Only took two weeks, AAAMAZING!! I can't wait to plug this puppy in after work...............

francric said:
WOO HOO, I got the call and picked it up. Only took two weeks, AAAMAZING!! I can't wait to plug this puppy in after work...............

That was quick! I wonder if that's standard timing... was thinking of ordering the Stiletto Ace combo myself.. now I'm second guessing and thinking the head may be better since I already have a 2x12 mesa cab.

But then I'm thinking 200 bucks for 2x12's when I can drive my other 2x12 cab with it would make a nice poor man's 4x12 and I could also ONLY drive the cab too so it'd be more versatile.

As far as the head having better tone than the combo, (soundpurist), why do you say that?

Platypus said:
francric said:

That was quick! I wonder if that's standard timing... was thinking of ordering the Stiletto Ace combo myself.. now I'm second guessing and thinking the head may be better since I already have a 2x12 mesa cab.

But then I'm thinking 200 bucks for 2x12's when I can drive my other 2x12 cab with it would make a nice poor man's 4x12 and I could also ONLY drive the cab too so it'd be more versatile.

As far as the head having better tone than the combo, (soundpurist), why do you say that?

The standard time is 10 - 12 weeks. Just got lucky, probably had one in stock............

OK, get home, unpack everything, read, well skim through manual.........no cable to hook up amp and cab included??????? :cry: [/img]

I'm loving this amp...................

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/francric/111_1152.jpg

Back