Roadster Distortion vs. Dual Rectifier Distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't answer your question completely but I can tell you what I do know.

I have a roadster 1x2 combo and the other guitar player in the band has a rectoverb head with a MB 4-12 bottom. Now, there are certainly some differences in playing style and gear between us that matter. He plays a les paul with emg's and I play a stock usa peavey wolfgang.

Anyway, when he plays his rectoverb it sounds exactly like what you would expect a recto to sound like. I really like his tone. With my set up I dont get the same thing but thats not necessarily a bad thing because there is a good contrast between us that works well in the overall mix.

The roadster produces very good recto tones but they seem to have a bit more midrange bite and cut. At least with my set up. The cleans are better and the brit and tweed modes are also very useful. The four channels on the roadster are a must have for me. I don't think I could get by with just the two on the rectoverb he has but it does kick some serious ***!

We've not tried it but I would imagine that he could probably get a very similar tone using his gear through the roadster.

Sorry, I know that doesn't really answer your question but that's the only comparison I can offer since I've had my roadster (combo). A roadster head with a 4-12 might be another story all together.

I'd think they'd be pretty identical, the only contributing factor to a tonal difference would be that of more circuitry with the Roadster! Maybe a less organic tone, just as you'd find within the difference of a three channel vs a two channel Solo head! Then again I doubt it, I bet they're identical! :?

jbird said:
I'd think they'd be pretty identical, the only contributing factor to a tonal difference would be that of more circuitry with the Roadster! Maybe a less organic tone, just as you'd find within the difference of a three channel vs a two channel Solo head! Then again I doubt it, I bet they're identical! :?

...That'd be pretty accurate...Have/had both and they're really, really close...I do think that the RS is a bit, and I mean a bit, warmer and smoother, but just a bit...lol...Hope this helps!

Yeah, a lot of people reckon the Roadster is a bit smoother and warmer. I guess it all depends on what other gear you are using.

Ciao ...

Latest posts

Back