Roadster ch3 and ch4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
I was curious if any one else runs channels 3 and 4 on their roadster identically with the exception of the rectification. I run both in vintage, eq them almost the same and although the prescence circuits are different for these two channels I try to set them evenly according to ear. Channel 3 is run with silicon diode and channel 4 with the tube rectification. I find this gives channel 3 a punch that is excellent for cutting through the mix particularly when riffing in the lower register and playing high gain rythm parts. Channel 4 with the tube rectifier is giving me a great liquid lead sound. They are basically the same tone with one being tighter and more focused and the other being warm in the high end. Anyone else do this?

Yea I used that setup on my Roadster for a while. Worked out great. You might know this already, but channel 4 has more presence by default to make it edgier.

Yeah, I know about the difference in the presence controls. They say ch4 is voiced for modern but most of the time I find vintage is better for my applications. I've only owned the roadster for a month and a half and I'm just starting to get to know it. It's my first boogie and I couldn't be happier. The cleans are pristine, even godlike and the high gain is bliss. You said that you used that setup for a while. Did you find settings that liked better?

I didn't necessarily find something I liked better than that setup, I just kept moving on and trying different combinations of EQ's, wattages, etc. Every day I played around with the amp's settings more and more. That amp is like a chemistry set, but with TONE. Its great how many combinations you can get out of it. The setup I ended up sticking with for a while before I sold it was:

Ch1 - Tweed w/ gain up (for Marshally crunch)
Ch2 - Fat (for crystal cleans)
Ch3 - Vintage (for low-gain leads)
Ch4 - Modern (for high-gain lead)

The Modern mode on channel 4 is basically what the entire thing is voiced for, so you can find almost all the other channels' sounds on ch4 Modern by tweaking the gain and EQ. I also found that an EQ pedal in the loop was great for adding some mids back in on all the channels.

I currently run everything exactly the same in 3&4
gain levels are different though. My channel 3 gain is 11:00 while channel 4 gain is about 1:00. With my new Rio Grande BBQ's I got a pretty good lead tone out of channel 4 now.

when I mess around with them, usually i use ch3 vintage tube rectified for leads and ch4 modern diode rectified for rhythm.

Latest posts

Back