Roadster ch 3 & 4 decay rate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychogentoo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know the Roadster/Roadking are voiced differently than the Dual Rec Solo and Rectoverb.

It seems to me that the on channel 3 and 4, while more dynamic, the sound decays a lot faster than the Dual Rec Solo and Rectoverb.

Here is my setting:
Bold
50W
Diode
Modern
FX on
Gain: 2:30
Treb: 1:00
Mid: 11:00
Bass: 12:00
Pres: 11:00
Master: 12:00

Chris at Mesa did suggest putting EL34s in to get the poweramp to break up faster than the 6L6....in asking about using a HotPlate, he wasn't sure if that would help...

Outside adding a compressor, is there anything I can do?

While the clean sound is awesome from the roadster, I'm wondering if I should return it and get a dual rec solo with a cab...

thanks

Do you mean you have no sustain and the notes choke off too fast?

Honestly I'd say your gain is a tad high, kind of quenching some of your tone there with that setting... try also going to the tube recitifer, it will not be as urgent and give way to smoother sustain.

Also, what kind of guitar?
Where is your 'master' volume? (not the channel master)

Did not realize Roadsters are radioactive and has half-life decay rate.

Just kidding, its the Holidays. :lol:

Platypus said:
Do you mean you have no sustain and the notes choke off too fast?

Honestly I'd say your gain is a tad high, kind of quenching some of your tone there with that setting... try also going to the tube recitifer, it will not be as urgent and give way to smoother sustain.

Also, what kind of guitar?
Where is your 'master' volume? (not the channel master)

Yes the notes choke off too fast.

Jem 7V with stock Dimarzio Evolution pickups.

Master "ouput" volume is at 10:00. maybe I should put it to 12:00 and um...wear ear plugs? :)

Hmmm.. do you have any other pedals in the chain? Such high output pickups should sustain for a long time at those settings...

Try the bold/tube suggestion I made at least and see if that makes it better?

Platypus said:
Hmmm.. do you have any other pedals in the chain? Such high output pickups should sustain for a long time at those settings...

no other pedals in the chain. the reason I got the boogie was so that I could avoid using pedals...

I will do that. I'm gonna see about swapping out the 6L6 with EL34 as well. Also, swapping the 12ax7s around with a new set of tubes...

Or I may return it and get the dual recto solo head with a 2x12 cab....

psychogentoo said:
Platypus said:

I will do that. I'm gonna see about swapping out the 6L6 with EL34 as well. Also, swapping the 12ax7s around with a new set of tubes...

Or I may return it and get the dual recto solo head with a 2x12 cab....

Having done both, you're going to get earlier breakup with the EL34 but not neccesarily more sustain or anything from them.. both seemed equal to me in output sustain.

Latest posts

Back