Roadster Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for a small grab and go amp, but keep coming back to the fact that the Roadster is just so freaking versatile......plus, I have a 4x12 cab just sitting in the corner not getting used.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind:
1. If I use midi switching, do I still need to cycle through all channels to eliminate the popping?

2. Do any of you Roadster owners notice a drop in sound or glitch when changing channels?

3. How well does the Master Volume work? Can I get the same tones at lower volumes, or is the Roadster like the Dual Rec in that it needs to be cranked to breathe?

4. Using a processor in 4CM, has anyone experienced ground loops? My old Roadking 1 never had ground loops like my current Rivera amp does.
It just seemed to be happy no matter what.

I will only be controlling the 4 channels through midi. I will simply set and forget the reverb, and always leave the loop on. I won't be using the Solo function.

I'll be using a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher for the midi control.

1. If I use midi switching, do I still need to cycle through all channels to eliminate the popping?
Yes. Although, when I power mine up I put it on channel 3 before I take it off standby and I rarely have pops anymore.

2. Do any of you Roadster owners notice a drop in sound or glitch when changing channels?
No. There is a momentary dropout in reverb when changing channels, but I also understand and can hear why they did it and think it was a good decision.

3. How well does the Master Volume work? Can I get the same tones at lower volumes, or is the Roadster like the Dual Rec in that it needs to be cranked to breathe?
You can get good sounds at low volumes but it won't sound like it does at high volumes. I find using the variac (spongy) helps get a better feel at low volumes.

4. Using a processor in 4CM, has anyone experienced ground loops? My old Roadking 1 never had ground loops like my current Rivera amp does.
No issues with ground loops using 4CM. Only time I've had issues is when running two amps that weren't properly isolated.

Right on, thanks!
Hard decision......
A new Rectoverb 25 combo is $1249 w/free shipping
A used Roadster combo is $1499 w/free shipping

Rectoverb would cover 85% of everything I might need, but playing outside might just suck with a tiny amp.
Last outdoor gig I did was with a Roadking combo, it handled the volume like a champ!
Of course, it took two people to carry it to the stage from my truck........

elvis said:
I'll bet you can get a used RV25 combo for $700-$900. I had a hell of a time getting rid of mine and eventually traded it.
I keep looking, but it seems shipping is $100 no matter what unless I go for a new one.

Why did you end up selling yours?

The other side of it is, I have a Fractal FX8 that has tons of distortions in it. I could go for an amp with less distortion and just add a pedal when I want to get heavy. Might be more versatile that way.

The joys of living where there are no good music stores within driving distance..........freaking inter-island plane tickets are $200 round trip now!

Monsta-Tone said:
I have a few questions if you guys don't mind:

It just seemed to be happy no matter what.

Well.. Screamingdaisy covered these but still I'll give these a shot...

1. It is good practice to cycle thru the channels when powered up in lower volume levels. :) It pops once and after that it does not. I've ENGL z11 midi-switcher and it pops less than the footswitch (may be just wishful thinking).

2. It depends on settings... If the drive channel has lower volume than clean, it feels like there's some glitch when changing. :) answer would be then "Not really"

3. I have a head and 4x12 at home and to be honest, it's too much for me to use at home (surprise ;)). The basic sound is okay but it doesn't have the feel of an cranked amp (Surprise - again). If one can crank just a little bit louder than conversation level, then it is a lot better.

4. I've never had problems with serial loops in Mesa amps. Single Recto with parallel loop was a bit of a challenge to get working properly (could not - delay in front of an amp). Mark III's and Roadster's loop have been working like a charm for me at least.

For the popping noise I've discovered, it is not the third channel that pops but vintage mode in both channels. At least now when I'm using ch 3 Modern & ch 4 vintage - it pops on channel 4.

: Eevil :

Latest posts

Back