Roadster 2x12 combo vs. Roadster head/Roadster 2x12 cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullVolume

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and I'm liking it, lots of good info. I used to have a Triple Rectifier & 4x12 and loved it but it became too powerful after the band was all done and I was just back to jamming in the basement. So I bought a Marshall 2061X(2061CX) and a 1974X(1974CX). Love them both but I miss that Mesa Rectifier sound, so the 1974x & 1974cx are going. I've been reading reviews and I think the Roadster is my next purchase. But I would like to know if there is any tone difference between the combo and head/cab. My musicstore does not carry Mesa anymore and the closest Mesa dealer is 12 hours away, so I have to buy blindly. I think both configurations are the same weight and the head/cab is about $350 more. Has anyone compared them side by side??

Thanks

If you're going to be transportion it alot, the head cab setup is easier to move, as the combos are very very heavy.

It also allows for more versatility, should you ever want to change just the head, or just the cab....

My vote goes for head ans cab! I also believe it is easier on the tubes, as the vibration for the speakers isn't as strong on the tubes.

I just A/Bd a combo next to a a recto cab, the recto had more bass. I wanted the combo sound. This is a good question, I know somebody's heard all three.

I imagine there isn't much noticeable difference between the Roadster 2x12 combo and 2x12 cabinet considering they are both fully closed with similar dimensions (when both are sitting on the floor or both with casters). The 1x12 will probably sound/feel a bit more loose than the 2x12, but not as much as a 3/4 or fully opened back.

Back