Roadster 2x12 combo - speaker ohm rating

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

para20033

Reaction score
Hi folks

New to the board and the world of Mesa Boogies. I have a new Roadster on order and would like to now which THD Hotplate to puchase to place in line with the internal 2x12 speakers. Can anybody tell me what ohm socket the speakers are connected to on the amp. 4,8,16 ?? From the pictures I found on the internet I think they are attached to the 4 ohm socket.

Thanks

para20033 said:
Hi folks

New to the board and the world of Mesa Boogies. I have a new Roadster on order and would like to now which THD Hotplate to puchase to place in line with the internal 2x12 speakers. Can anybody tell me what ohm socket the speakers are connected to on the amp. 4,8,16 ?? From the pictures I found on the internet I think they are attached to the 4 ohm socket.

Thanks
From the pic of the backside of the Roadster 2x12 it seems to be a 4 Ohm load:

RoadsterRearLG.jpg

To me, that's an unfortunate design choice. It would have been better to use two 16 Ohm speakers in parallel for an 8 Ohm load. That way, since all of Mesa's cabs are 8 Ohms, adding a 2x12 cab would be easy. There isn't really any easy way of adding a 2x12 cab to an amp that's already 4 Ohms. However, perhaps the pic is wrong and there are really 2x16 Ohm speakers there. My F-100 2x12 is wired for 8 Ohms and I use an 8 Ohm hot plate with it to good ends. So, since we can’t tell, and the pic could be wrong, it’s best to call Mesa.

Its been my expirience that Mesa likes to wire their cabs to 8 ohms one way or another--Id be surprized if they chose 4 ohms for just the Roadster amp- :wink:

Back