Roadking tones question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I know the Roadking can get awesome metal tones, but how are the cleans? Is it possible to get a nice David Gilmour tone with it too?

The newer RK (series II) have a better clean tone in the vein of the Lonestar (Boogies best cleans to date) and they are really nice. I'm not sure about Gilmour tones, but it can get some pretty good bluesy tones. A lot of people don't like the Brit mode on ch 2 but I really like it. I have a couple of clips posted at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com if you want to check them out?

Thanks,
what amp would you recommend that can do hardrock tones and also gilmourish blues tones.

The Road King II is going to get you the closest or the Roadster without going the modeling amp route..... If you use any pedals, I bet you'd have no problem getting Gilmour tones (like a tubescreamer). The other amp that comes to mind is a Mark IV.

The Road King gets incredible clean tones and is probably the most diverse sounding tube amp that money can buy.

Some people fear that because if its Recto herritage it's just a metal amp, and that is definitely not the case. Yes, you can get Gilmourish tones. I do, but then half of my sound comes from effects, too -- the amp does its job, the effects do theirs.

If you read my review of the RK II, I talk a lot about the different sounds you can get from it. It's really a very diverse amp capable of sounding like vintage classic rock, blues rock, twangy clean, and modern metal. It does take a long time to figure out what sounds you like from it since there are so many possible sonic combinations of preamp circuits, tube selection, and more.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Did you guys read the recent issue of GP on Gilmour.
That guy had an effects board made by Pete Cornish that was like three yards square !!! They also went over his amplifier evolution, but no matter what he played through, his tone is unique to him. Even on A Momentary Lapse of Reason where he was playing through 8,000 preamps and processors you could still undeniably tell it was him. He says more with three notes than I could say in a lifetime. He is an amazing player.

tele_jas said:
The newer RK (series II) have a better clean tone in the vein of the Lonestar (Boogies best cleans to date) and they are really nice. I'm not sure about Gilmour tones, but it can get some pretty good bluesy tones. A lot of people don't like the Brit mode on ch 2 but I really like it. I have a couple of clips posted at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com if you want to check them out?

Couldnt get your clips to play for me . Im not on dial up

Boogiebabies said:
...Even on A Momentary Lapse of Reason where he was playing through 8,000 preamps and processors you could still undeniably tell it was him. ...
Uh, you missed count it was more like 7996
36_11_6.gif

Sorry could not resist being a smart ***. It's sluggish at work.

Latest posts

Back