Roadking Channel 1 volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianf

Reaction score
Even with all 6 tubes firing, the volume on channel 1 is not nearly as loud as channel 2.

If I take all 4 channels and set the gain at 12:00 o'clock. the masters would be at 4 o'clock on channel 1, 12:00 on channel 2, 9:00 o'clock on channel 3 and about 8:00 o'clock on channel 4 to get any balance. Does this seem right?

Thanks

brianf

Ch. 1 and 2 do not have 5 gain stages pushing the power amp with overdrive. Ch. 3 and 4 have different amounts of negative feedback with Ch. 4 having no negative feedback it is the loudest and has the most bottom end. It seems normal to me.

Thats been kind of normal on my RK.... My Triple I also had the clean channel's volume up higher to make it match the other channels. I have my gain all the way up on channel 1 on my RK and my volume is still at about noon, If I turn the gain down then I have to turn the volume back up to compensate, but I like the "on the edge of break up" tone I get with the gain up all the way on ch 1.

Ditto for me....channel 1 is not as loud. Running it on "clean" setting with the 2 el34's and 2 6l6's gives me good results. If I want it with a little more clean headroom, I just go with the 4 6L6's.

RB

I generally use Channel 1 for the cleanest, most bubbly clean sounds that I can get. That usually happens when I use Ch 1/Tweed/Spongy/Low Gain (10:00)/High Presence/2x6L6/Tube tracking, and the open side of the RK 4x12 cab. I also have a John Petrucci Music Man with the piezo option, so I use a mix of the piezo and the custom center pickup selector to refine my clean sound. One of the (many) reasons that I bought my RK was that I really liked the options that it offered for a clean sound.

With that said, the one (and only) negative thing that I can say about my RK is that I am forced to trade a high-quality, bubbly and sparkling clean sound for high volume. That is, when I need to play at high volume, I have to change from only 2x6L6 to 2x6L6 plus 2xEL34 (or 4x6L6). I also have to turn up the gain to at least 1:00. After I make those changes, my pristine clean sound starts to break up slightly at high volumes (mostly due to the increased gain). And that really pisses me off because if I wanted tube breakup, I would have used channel 2.

I can remove almost all of the breakup if use all 4x6L6 plus 2xEL34, but for all those who aren't familiar with the RK, when you select all 6 power tubes, the amp forces itself to use the silicon diodes to perform the signal rectification (they literally didnt' have enough room to add a third 5AU4G recitifier tube to support all 6 power tubes, so they force you to use the silicon diodes in this case). In my opinion, silicon diode rectification really makes a clean tone sound really sterile and lifeless, so I refuse to use all 6 powertubes for my clean sound.

So yeah, you're not alone.

Latest posts

Back