Roadking 2x12 vs traditional 2x12 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnumb44

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting an extension cab and am interested in feedback from anyone who has used the Roadking 2x12 with the combo open and closed back. It seems ingenious, but I wonder if it would be good with a none RK amp, like my Lonestar Classic.

Comments?

I guess my issue with the R.K. 2 x 12 cab is if you want to be running open back only or closed back only, you have all that power going to only 1 speaker.

In the 4 x 12 R.K. cab it sounds the the greatest idea but the down side is the weight!!!!

I currently run my R.K. through a recto 2 x 12. Works fine but I know that the clean channel (s) would sound better through an open back.

The perfect solution for me would be my recto 2 x 12 closed back stacked on a open back 2 x 12. But Mesa's open backs have different dimensions that the recto 2 x 12 cab. Looks funny stacked.

So I think I will buy a second 2 x 12 recto cab. Take the back off and make a second back from top quality plywood in an open back pattern. I know someone to do the tolex for me. This would give me my 4 x 12 that I can now carry and I will have a true open back and closed back cab that have identical grills and dimensions.

brianf

Koprofag, that's exactly what I was thinking about as well!!! I wonder if V30's are the speaker for an open back though?

brianf

Thanks for the input. I might try something similar, but take an LSC extension cab and add a panel to make it closed. I've been running my V30s in the open back LSC combo and like them very much. Maybe what I really want is to get back my old 4x12 loaded with V30s. Big, heavy, but what a sound!

Back