Road ready metal grill half back 4x12's. info needed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
are these built the same as regular metal grill 4x12's, then with lamanent over it and all the metal hardware? or is the cabinet itself the road case?
do they sound the same as regular boogie halfbacks?

I've never played one of those cabs, but I can tell you that it's going to weigh a ton. The regular 1/2 backs are much heavier than a standard Marshall cab - I think they run about 100lbs.

I was also in a band where the bass player had a Mesa road ready 4x10 cab and it was very heavy (much heavier than the Harke that he brought to gigs occasionally).

I can only imagine how heavy the road ready 4x12 cab is.... :shock:

well there was a guy on my local craigslist selling 2.
he said they were celestion on top and ev on the bottom.
when i got there to check them out, we took them both apart and found mc90s on top on both, and vintage 50 watters on the bottom.
i bought one of them from him and swapped out the 50 watters with 2 c90's i had sitting around here.
the cab is heavy, but nothing i can't handle.
i'm a skinny guy, but i'm used to lugging 4x12's. its nothing insane.
i'm sure it is with ev's though.
as for the construction, by looking at the insides, i'm pretty sure its the same thing as the regular halfbacks except instead of tolex, they used a thin vinyl lamanent (like on road cases), and all that metal hardware with a plywood front pannel that latches on to cover the speakers.

i played both cabs at the guys house with a pod xt -> 2:90 -> into both cabs while they had the 50 watters in the bottom.
they sounded meaty as ****! this guy had his guitar tuned to c sharp, and was so ballsy and thick, but clear and tight. i'd never heard a pod sound so good! just goes to show what a good stereo tube power amp and good cabs can do.
i can buy the other one for 350 from him, and i think i might do it when i get paid.

$350 seems like a decent deal, even with the speaker swap. I'm sure those cabs went for much more than that when new. Glad it worked out....

Tuna141 said:
$350 seems like a decent deal, even with the speaker swap. I'm sure those cabs went for much more than that when new. Glad it worked out....

yeah i'm thinking about getting it, but i really have to pull some strings to get that extra 350. i took home the nicer of the two, with the 4 input jack plate (4/4 ohm, 8 ohm, parallel out).
the one he has left is one input, and a bit more beat up.

still, its a halfback cab for 350.

also, i should add that taking that metal grill off and getting it back on in the same holes is a PAIN IN THE ***!

For anyone who is going to attempt to do this, i recommend super glueing the rubber things to the grill how they are from the factory, before you take the whole thing off. that'll make it easier trying to get them to line up right.

halfback.jpg

Picture035_1.jpg

here are a few pics from the ads.
those emi v50's that are on the bottom sounded great, but i wanted the c90s in there. so these pics are before i swapped them.
its weird that the v50's, that are the lightest of all the boogie speakers, still have the 8 screws rather than the 4, like the heavier c90's.

i'm 99% sure i'm gunna pick up the 2nd one tomorrow from the same guy :D

i'm actually letting my other guitarist in my band buy it....but i'm gunna probably buy his old halfback cab from him.
who knows.
hes helbent on getting the road ready one now. :lol:

Latest posts

Back