Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Everyone's excited for their Series II. Do you think it can get good F series style sounds, because I just read up on the F series and found out they have 12AX7's, and the SEries II will have 6 of those. I've played I think an F-30 combo and loved it. It had a lot of bite.

i'm not to sure, as most mesas have 12ax7 tubes in them. it should come close, it'd be hard to believe that there's a tone the road king can't get. just pair it up with vintage 30 speakers since that's the speakers the f-30 combo has.

+Mike+

I picked up my new Mesa Boogie Road King 2 on one of the wettest, windiest days (3/31/06).

Wow is all I can say! The clean channel is awesome...best clean I have ever heard. add a little chorus, wowzer!. I'm still working on the dirty channels I cant seem to get the sound I'm looking for but its got to be there! (perhaps my stock emg pickups? maybe a OD pedal?)
I got to play through all the channels with different tube selections with my freinds, they kept on telling me to turn down! :evil: I thought I was too low! My favorites tube combos would be the 4 6L6's and 2 6L6's/2 EL 34's.

Here are a few pictures that I took with a disposable camera. These will do for now until I get my friend over with his Digital Camera and take some real pictures :wink:

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/MetalMatt02
*If it doesn't work let me know*

One thing I have noticed. There is no Pentode/Triode switch?!?! did they forget to put it in? In the manual it says it there and also on the web site, WEIRD! (I'm looking into this one)

Can't wait for the rest of you Kings get your Road Kings!

\m/--Matt--\m/

Im new at this forum stuff so is there a way I can post pictures that you guys can see?

overture2005 said:
How about the 2nd channel?

Sorry! I haven't really messed with that channel yet hopefully by the end of the week I will let you know.

--Matt--

MetalMatt, your photobucket account is private. You need to make it public. You can do that by going to the Account Options button at the top of the page and change it to Public. You could also set a "read only" password for your friends.

kingster911 said:
uh-oh...no recto switch?! look harder!!

No, Im talking about the switch for the EL 34's

Code001 said:
MetalMatt, your photobucket account is private. You need to make it public. You can do that by going to the Account Options button at the top of the page and change it to Public. You could also set a "read only" password for your friends.

Thanks! You should be able to see them now, if not then the password is... free

Are the Road Kings really Versatile? Im new to them, also do you think the Roadster (Whenever it decides to come out) is gonna be as good?

I think the Road King amps are incredibly versatile. They have both EL-34 and 6L6 tubes and a massive amount of features.

MetalMatt,
did you look inside around the tubes? That's where it is on my Series I (that is broken and will be getting exchanged with a Series II as soon as it arrives). I hope they didn't forget to put the pentode/triode switch on!!

Troy said:
MetalMatt,
did you look inside around the tubes? That's where it is on my Series I (that is broken and will be getting exchanged with a Series II as soon as it arrives). I hope they didn't forget to put the pentode/triode switch on!!

I looked and looked... No sign of the switch :roll: Im calling Boogie tomarrow to ask about it.

MetalMatt,

In the meantime, think you could post a few sound clips? Nothing special, just want to get a feel for the tone (...you lucky dog!!) :D

Also, if possible, could you get a snapshot of the full rear panel? I'm wondering how different it is from the picture on Mesa's site.

Anyone that got their Series II-
How does the new BRIT mode on channel 2 sound? I need the gain up all the way on my Series I to get the brit sound I enjoy. Is there a noticable increase of gain in this mode?

Also, any word on that pentode/triode switch?! I've been thinking about this constantly hoping they didn't forget to put it in!

I second these requests: (i) clips, (ii) detailed photos, and (iii) where is the switch? :D

MetalMatt said:
Troy said:
MetalMatt,

I looked and looked... No sign of the switch :roll: Im calling Boogie tomarrow to ask about it.

Look between the EL34's

Code001 said:
Also, if possible, could you get a snapshot of the full rear panel? I'm wondering how different it is from the picture on Mesa's site.
Ill post some once my friend gets here friday with a better camera. Sorry

Troy said:
Anyone that got their Series II-
How does the new BRIT mode on channel 2 sound? I need the gain up all the way on my Series I to get the brit sound I enjoy. Is there a noticable increase of gain in this mode?

Also, any word on that pentode/triode switch?! I've been thinking about this constantly hoping they didn't forget to put it in!

I have a Series 2. I have to max it out also on channel 2 but I never played a series I. also the louder I play it the less gain I need.

Yea the switch isnt there! I called boogie and they told me "the switch wouldnt make any difference" I asked if I could get one installed they said "it wouln't make any difference" and "The book has not been updated, Sorry" That pissed me off! If they knew that! then change the book! I really wanted that switch!

John Orange said:
I second these requests: (i) clips, (ii) detailed photos, and (iii) where is the switch? :D

LOL what do I look like! step and fetch boy! :p Yes! I will try and fill all your requests! I have a life too! :lol:

Latest posts

Back