Road King Version 1 vs Road King Version 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrickn

Reaction score
I currently own the Road King Version 1 and wanted to know is the clean mode in the newer version clean and better than the old version.

And are the distortion the same in both amps?

My Road King distortion in the modern mode on channel 4 does not sound the same is the Dual Rec on modern mode that I owned previously for some reason and I have put new tubes in it.

I'm still just barely into my product review of the Road King V2 but yes, the cleans are outstanding, borrowing from the Lone Star. The V2 also has the Reverb section from the Lone Star, which our senior editor Matt Pinson found to be the best sounding Reverb ever in ANY Mesa/Boogie amp during his evaluation of the Lone Star.

They didn't make any changes to channels 3 and 4.

The other significant changes are:

1. Both effects loops are now serial instead of the second one being parallel in your V1.
2. The pentode/triode switch for the EL34s is missing. I will report on this change in the review.

Scott

Scottkahn, sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to your review. Do let us know when it is out.

Best regards,
JO

I wanted to know how the clean mode volume is? With my series one on clean mode you need to turn the volume all the way up and put the gain at 3 to get a nice crystal clear tone that is loud enough to match channel 4 volume.

I will make a point to listen for the volume disparity. Of course if you are using different tube options, you may not be able to come close. For example, 2x6L6 on the clean channel and 4x6L6 or 2x6L6 + 2 EL34 will not come close no matter what you do with the volume. I'll assume that you're using the same power output.

Also, note that 2 EL34 will probably sound quieter than 2 6L6 -- power output is similar, but not identical.

Latest posts

Back