Road King Troubleshooting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxnsteel

Reaction score
After about 45 minutes, Channels 3 and 4 go away. Volume drops to near zero. Doesn't happen to channels one and 2. I was using 1&2 with the combo cab, and 3/4 through a 4X12, and switched 3/4 to the combo to rule out that possibility. Channels 1/4 are 6L6, 2/3 are EL34. Maybe a bad preamp tube? Does anyone know which tubes affect the 3/4 channel's circuit but not 1/2? I know, I sould just call Mesa, right? I might, but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks in advance.

I just got a RK today and I called Boogie to ask if there was anything I needed to do since I actually have the warranty now and I've heard of issues and heres what Michael Wolfe told me:

He said that there are some Diodes in channel 3 and 4 that should be swapped out to make it more stable. I asked him what I should look for if there is a problem with that and he said it will either be a volume drop after about 45 minutes of play or a "tremolo" effect after about 45 minutes of use and it will only be on channels 3 & 4.

That sounds exactly like what's going on with your amp, you need to send it in for that upgrad and that should take care of it.

Had the same problem when I first got mine....took it to my authorized Mesa repair-doood, and viola! Fixed. And Rocking.

Just a simple update, and all is cool.

Dont fret.

RB

That is a know problem on the RK 3. The RK 4 is the current version out now. Any amp before 2004 may be an RK 3 and suseptible to the diodes overheating.

Good Job Tele !!!!

Even if it was made in 2004 it may still need upgraded.

I was told that my amp was made in Aug of 2004 (my serial number is between 1800 and 1900) and Michael Wolfe said my amp may still need the diodes upgraded and recommends I take it in since it's under warranty and have them replaced to be on the safe side (ya know, murphys law always hits when you least expect it).

Latest posts

Back