Road King question(Has nothing to do with a Roadster)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
OK, Hopefully the subj. line will prompt some veterans to read this and reply. I took a RK combo for a test drive today (sweet) and tested it with a '75 LP custom (ssswweeet!) and enjoyed both. Neither came home with me so I made the wife happy :twisted:

OK, here's my questions...
1.) There was no Pentode/Triode switch that I locate so I'm assuming it's a RKII?

2) The output appeared to be bypassed. I'm used to adjusting gain, volume, and output. When I turned the output nothing happened. I flipped the switch from loop on/off on each channel to no avail. Nothing was plugged into the loop. I did not see one loop off switch like the Stiletto has.So what gives? There was no footswitch to switch channel.

3) Anyone tried the RK Combo w/ a 2x12 rectifier ext cab?

I liked the RK; but to be honest for the playing I do and for what the RK costs, I think a DR will do it. Of course I still need to try a Mark IV or Roadster before I make a final decision.

2) The output appeared to be bypassed. I'm used to adjusting gain, volume, and output. When I turned the output nothing happened. I flipped the switch from loop on/off on each channel to no avail. Nothing was plugged into the loop. I did not see one loop off switch like the Stiletto has.So what gives? There was no footswitch to switch channel.

There is a switch nearer to the side that the spongy/bold switch is, and it controls the solo/master volume and the footswitch. It may have been switched to bypass. Also, it may have been set to just one channel, rather than all four channels. The combination of both switches most likely would have been what was giving you difficulty.

As Rabies said above, it was an RKII.

A Road King II will say "Road King II" on the name plate on the front panel.

The Pentode/triode switch on the RK I is under the chassis (by the tube sockets) if I remember correctly.

Not sure about the FX loop/output issue?? There should have been a knob on the back to set it to FX. The little switches on each channel were just for that channel, you need to make sure the master FX selector is set to on (that's not the correct name for it).

It's been a few months since I've messed with one (about 7 months), but I think that's what I remember.

if you dug the rk i'd definitely give the roadster a test drive.... for only being a few hundred more than a regular dr its probably the best mesa for the money out there... atleast as rectos are concerned

Agreed.

1. It was a Road King II, which it says on the front plate.

2. Switch on the back for "Bybass loops, Solo, & Output Controls" shoudl be set to the position for "Loop System Active" -- the one you played had the switch in the wrong position, presumably.

If the RK II is too expensive, go with the Roadster. It's still superior to a Dual Recto because of the Lone Star voicings on the clean channels -- unbeatable in any Boogie amps other than a Lone Star.

Scott

Back