Road King or Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trace

Reaction score
Well, here's the deal.
I play a pretty wide variety. I play blues, a bit of country, rock, metal of all sorts, as well as plain shred. To give you an idea, Andy Timmons to Alter Bridge to Nevermore to Vai. I am more interested in high gain and solo channels, but good cleans are a MUST (and I hear these two amps have the Lone Star cleans). I have been looking in to the Road King Series II and am interested in its Progressive Linkage system, however, the Roadster is a bit more affordable, just without this system. The amp would be mainly for gigging and studio use, but I wouldn't be apprehensious to use it for practice every now and then. So how much would I probably use this Progressive Linkage system? I have looked at and played Mark IVs, which would be my third choice, and Dual and Triple Recs as well as a Stilleto Deuce. So, which of these amps would I be better off with? A Road King or Roadster, or one of the others?

I went through this whole thing myself, and personnally, I think the Road King and Roadster are more hype the hip, if you catch my drift. I was not happy with any of the sounds out the RKII or Roadster-the cleans were ok, the el34s gave you more options but I did not LOVE any of them, and my Single Rec, I thought sounded and played the recto sounds better. On the other hand I absolutley love the Stilettos, and they have all the cleans I need. I guess I would rather have one great tone and one usable tone for cleans rather then a rack of mediocre noise which is how the Roadster played, felt and sounded on a gig-and believe me, I tried every setting possible, and I wanted to believe...I would rathe stuck with my heartbreaker then either of those noise machines. Try the Mark IV, if you don't love the Stiletto.

Im going through the same thing...

Im looking for an amp that will get me dual/tripple rectifier tones, but with better cleans...

I have never tried a Road King and where I live I can't try one unless I order... but I would still have to pay first.

stash49 said:
I went through this whole thing myself, and personnally, I think the Road King and Roadster are more hype the hip, if you catch my drift. I was not happy with any of the sounds out the RKII or Roadster-the cleans were ok, the el34s gave you more options but I did not LOVE any of them, and my Single Rec, I thought sounded and played the recto sounds better. On the other hand I absolutley love the Stilettos, and they have all the cleans I need. I guess I would rather have one great tone and one usable tone for cleans rather then a rack of mediocre noise which is how the Roadster played, felt and sounded on a gig-and believe me, I tried every setting possible, and I wanted to believe...I would rathe stuck with my heartbreaker then either of those noise machines. Try the Mark IV, if you don't love the Stiletto.
I actually have played both, but I didn't get to really mess around with the progressive linkage. I really did like all of the sounds, and I did not get a chance to check cleans. I do like the Stilletos...but I don't really get that exact tone I want out of them. It's just a bit too..vintage.

You guys must have tried a dud or a lemon or somthing,i sell mesas for a living and have tried every boogie out there ,and sold them to giging musos,the cleans are the very best ive heard and the dirt sounds are great ,no one has said that they are passable ,the noise thing is about gain structure ,and as for versatility theres not much out there as versile un less it is a million bucks.All the giging guys that use them have come from single,duals and tripples, and all say that they are a god send ,as for the stilletos,they a an awsome amp,but there s no way a el34 clean is any better than the 4 6l6 tweed sound on the road king, any opinions are lke *** holes ,every one has one.

Well stash, he wasn't asking for opinions on the amps but for help on choosing between the two.

If you don't like the RKII or Roadster, than you don't like Mesa tone in general. The RKII, as I'm sure the Roadster is similar, is a monster. If you can spend the extra 6 or 7 hundred bucks, get the progressive linkage. Four channels, three modes each. Twelve very unique tones from ultra clean to super high gain. And that's before you throw in the 5 different power tubes configurations. Yes you can change tubes in the Roadster but you can't have different tube configurations assigned to each channel independently. Amazing.

I thought about getting a Roadster and saving some money for other gear but a Road King II showed up at my local dealer last April and he called me. I wrote a check for $700 more than I was expecting too and don't regret it. I would have hated to get the Roadster and then have tried a Road King II. Having that versatility at the flick of a switch is just not found in any other amp.

PS

My RKII is SUPER quiet. Even at high gain, high volume. I sold my Boss NS-2 weeks ago.

CudBucket said:
Well stash, he wasn't asking for opinions on the amps but for help on choosing between the two.

If you don't like the RKII or Roadster, than you don't like Mesa tone in general. The RKII, as I'm sure the Roadster is similar, is a monster. If you can spend the extra 6 or 7 hundred bucks, get the progressive linkage. Four channels, three modes each. Twelve very unique tones from ultra clean to super high gain. And that's before you throw in the 5 different power tubes configurations. Yes you can change tubes in the Roadster but you can't have different tube configurations assigned to each channel independently. Amazing.

I thought about getting a Roadster and saving some money for other gear but a Road King II showed up at my local dealer last April and he called me. I wrote a check for $700 more than I was expecting too and don't regret it. I would have hated to get the Roadster and then have tried a Road King II. Having that versatility at the flick of a switch is just not found in any other amp.

PS

My RKII is SUPER quiet. Even at high gain, high volume. I sold my Boss NS-2 weeks ago.

Ahh, really? Thanks man, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

I have an RK series 1 (an old one at that) and the series 2 is even better. I love the tonal palette that it has. The progressive linkage is great for combining and separating the EL34's and the 6L6's. If you want to have a brit type of sound or a want to add a more bratty sound to your high gain, then you have that option. I change up the combinations of tubes for different tones and occasionally just to try something different. Currently I use either 4 6L6's or all 6 six tubes for channel 1, 2 EL34's on channel 2, 2 EL34's and 2 6L6's on channel 3, and 2 6L6's on channel 4. It's nice to be able to switch them up.

Also, beyond the progressive linkage you have the ability of two effects loops, and being able to A/B between cabs or use both. So you could be able to run an open back cab and a closed back. Or add an additional cab to a combo. You also have the bold/spongy switch for more control. So there are a few extra features that you may or may not use.

If you like the idea of having all that versatility in one amp and can afford the extra cost, then the RK may be the way that you would lean.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Add my vote for the RK II; once you're in that $$ stratosphere, it does not make sense to not pay the extra $700 for so much more versatility and tones.

I've had a RK (series I) and now have a Roadster, and I like the Roadster much better..... but if I could afford the extra $700-$800, I would have gotten the Road King II in a heart beat!!

But to be 100% honest, I don't miss the progressive linkage as much as I thought I would?!?! I figured coming from a RK to a Roadster I'd notice a big difference, but the difference wasn't as big as I thought it'd be. I have re-tubed the amp with EL34's now and I'm really liking what I'm hearing now-a-days. The 6L6's were nice, but I've been on a "british" tone kick for the last month or so and this takes care of it.

I've got a few clips of my Roadster at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com if you want to check it out?

If you have the money definitely get the Road King II. I didn't have the extra $$$ and went with the Roadster which I'm really happy with. As Cudbucket said, they are quiet amps and I don't use noise supression either.

Ciao ...

Latest posts

Back