Road King... no artist love?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henweigh

Reaction score
So I own a Road King II and really couldn't be much happier with it. As advertised, it can pretty much cover anything you want it to. I've read a ton about the amp over the years, but it seems to me that despite being toted as being one of the best amps ever made and having universally glowing reviews, almost no recording artists really got behind it or use them today.

Could be a bit misinformed here but I think the biggest endorsement of the amp came by way of John Petrucci when he recorded his solo album (exclusively?) with the Road King, and played them for a few years with Dream Theater. Dave Grohl did (does?) use Road Kings live. Not sure about studio. I believe New Found Glory at one point was using one, and an older post on this forum turned up someone referencing Behemoth, Killswitch Engage, The Jamie Foxx band guitarist, and Kanye West guitarist as users.

For an amp that has so much going for it, why does it seem that so few touring/recording artists latched onto the Road King? Also, curious to hear about who has used them over the years, and whether live or studio. To the best of my knowledge, the only recorded instances I know of a Road King being on an album are on Petrucci's "Suspended Animation", and Dream Theater's "Octavarium" and "Train of Thought". Would love to hear more of what the amp can do in the hands of a great player in a recording studio.

Wasn't the Road King their flagship product for many years? Must have sold some of them. I think Lindsey Buckingham may have used them at some point but he only uses clean channels on amps so probably overkill.

Latest posts

Back