Road King Head or Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amphead

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like to know if the combo have the same features as the head have. And all of them? I would like to have 2x12 cab with it so why don't buy combo? Any advise or opinion? Thanks!

Combo = 98lbs
Head = 57lbs
2x12 FYI weighs = 63lbs

You get the same features on the head that you get w/ the combo. It's all a question if what you want to lug.

Like clutch said, it's all about how much room you have and how much you're willing to lift. I have an RK1 head with a 2x12 cab and it's about as heavy as I want to carry. I'd rather make two trips than lift the combo, not that I move it that often.

They both have the same features otherwise.

It also depends on the sound you want: the combo is open back, so you'll get more headroom on the clean channels. I always have to make two trips while using my RKII combo and 2 x 12 Recto cab heh...

Head. Might be two trips with separate cab., but I'd feel more confident that those would be safer trips with less weight..

I'd only consider having a RK Combo if I had roadies.

As I carry my gear myself, 2x12 combos are out of my purchase list.

I've posted this before, the combo sounds more midrange than the cab/head. My nephew and I ordered one of each and when they came in we played them side by side. They didn't sound the same, might just be my combo...I dunno.

amphead said:
How is RK different from RK II?

from Mesa:

Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from our acclaimed LoneStar® - our best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier.

All New, All-Tube Reverb also from the LoneStar® is deeper, more lush and ambient and sticks tighter to the notes. Reverb control now rides in each Channel Strip.

Improved Effects Loops are both Series for seamless interfacing of processing.

I would like to buy one. I mean Rk II head. Is there any chance to find a used one? :roll:

ol4t said:
I've posted this before, the combo sounds more midrange than the cab/head. My nephew and I ordered one of each and when they came in we played them side by side. They didn't sound the same, might just be my combo...I dunno.

'Tis true. Combo vs. head and cabinet will always sound different. Judging from the Harmony-Central reviews, I concluded that more players were happier with a head and 2x12 cabinet vs. the combo version of the same amp. I tried it a few times myself, and the separate cabinet wins. I had a Recto 2x12 cabinet with a Trem-O-Verb head, and I would take the half panel off the rear for jazz/R&B gigs, and leave it on for rock gigs. I was much happier with the open back 2x12 cabinet vs. the Tverb combo. I tried a bunch of 'em in the area, and the separate cabinet definitely is better, any way you slice it.

There's only one on eBay and it's RK1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-boogie-dual-rectifier-road-king-with-footswitch_W0QQitemZ200124741719QQihZ010QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have both the RKI head w/RK 4X12 cab & a RKII combo. I don't gig anymore so I never transport them. Once in a while, I move them between my workshop and my house. The weight of the combo is ridiculous. I only bought the RKII combo cause thats what the store had. Wish I would have ordered the RKII head. Anyways, I'm always playing the combo through the RK 4X12 cab.

I've gone with the RK head and a port city 2x12 cab. It's a winning combination for sure. Boogie stuff is already heavy enough, I could not bear lugging around a 2x12 combo! :D

Latest posts

Back