Road King Effects Loop Question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveythomas

Reaction score
I have had my Road King Combo for a few weeks and decided to hook up a Boss GT8 to the parallel effects loop. I read the manual about the effects a few times and looked at bossgtcentral.com but I wanted to know if everyone's loop 2 functions like mine.

1) Loop system is set to ACTIVE - Loop 2 toggle on the back is set to OFF (all channels) - Footswitch button for loop 2 is not engaged (no light) - when I play there are no effects. This is how I would think it should function.

2) Loop system is set to ACTIVE - Loop 2 toggle on back is set to OFF (all channels) - Footswitch for loop 2 is engaged (blue light comes on) - when I play I hear the effects on all channels - the Loop 2 Mix knob (for each channel) on back does nothing to increase or decrease the effect amount on any channel. So this seems a bit strange to me. The Loop 2 toggle is off but when I click the footswitch I get the effect.

3) Loop system is set to ACTIVE - Loop 2 toggle on back is set to ON (all channels) - Footswitch for loop 2 is engaged (blue light is on) - when I play I hear the effects on all channels - the Loop 2 mix knob for each channel adjusts the mix amount. This is what I expected, everything is on so I hear the effects.

4) Loop system is set to Active - Loop 2 toggle on back is set to ON (all channels) - Footswitch for loop 2 is disengaged...Wait, blue light is still on, effects are still coming through, how do I turn them off, oh yeah, toggel on the back of the amp. I would have thought that the Loop 2 footswitch would have turned the effects off.

Is this how it functions for all you other Road King owners?

I would have thought that only the channels with the toggle set to ON would have gone on when the footswitch loop 2 switch was engaged and that their level would be set by the Loop 2 mix knob for each channel. And that if I clicked the footswitch loop 2 swtich to OFF the effect would go away. Not the case. If the toggle is set to ON, the footswitch does nothing, the effect is always on. If the toggle is set to OFF, sure the footswitch works as expected but then I can't control how much effect is mixed in each individual channel- and if I go from channel 1 to 4 and don't want effects on 4, I have to click two buttons.

If it worked how I thought it should, I could set the loop 2 toggle ON for channels 1,2,and 3 and dial in a mix level for each channel. And I could leave channel 4 set to OFF so it never gets effects. And the footswitch could then turn the effect on or off no matter which channel I was in.

Let me know

- davey

All four instances is how the Road King's loop 2 switching should act. The loop 2 switches for each channel dictate whether or not it's engaged when you select that channel. This way you don't have to hit the channel switch, then the loop switch. If it is engaged on a channel, it will stay engaged regardless of if you try to deselect it with the footswitch. If it is off, it will default to off when you select that channel.

Hope that all makes sense. BTW, how does the GT-8 sound through the Road King? I was thinking about buying one for my Road King. Also, have you tried the 4 cable method, and if so, how does it sound?

Latest posts

Back