Road king 2x12 cabinet problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsky1

Reaction score
So I have a Road King 2x12 Cabinet. Its only 5 years old very well taken care of and never abused. I normally run output a 9 o'clock and only use it in 50watt mode.

When I use the closed back side and hit an D# (lets say on the 2nd string 14th fret) I hear this strange out of tune resonant note with it. It depends on how hard I hit the string. There is some sort of threshhold of when I can hear it depending on how hard I pluck the string. It is not the guitar (tried several), I also played the same note on a different string and it does the same thing. Any thoughts on what is wrong? I can't find any other notes that do this. When I switch over to the open back side it does not make this aweful sound.

That sounds like 'cone cry', which is sometimes a problem with V30s (and some other speakers) and tends to occur at about that sort of note. Basically it's a bad resonance in the speaker cone or edge surround. If it is, there's not much you can do except replace the speaker. Check that there's nothing loose in that side of the cabinet first though. (Speaker mounting bolts, jacks etc.)

Great... $129

I took the back off the cabinet and it still did it. Checked the nuts on the speaker... seemed ok. I did cinch them up a tad and it didn't seem to help.

Are the speakers covered under the 5 year warranty? Just wondering if it is still good since you said the cab was around 5 years old. Hope it gets fixed man.

-AJH

mesa speakers have a 3 year warranty, if i recall correctly.

edit: yep
amp: 5 year
speakers: 3 year
tubes/cables/misc: 6 month

I don't have the wiring diagram, but they are all wired common ground at 8 ohms mono, 4 ohm stereo to the standard Recto cab back jack plate (not Road King).
IMAG1412.jpg

I believe the Cab is like this when facing you:

V30 C90
C90 V30

Hope this helps a little

-AJH

Latest posts

Back