Road King 2 VS Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using the road king for a long time now and love its a great amp. I'm just curious anyone out there recently switched between a road kind 2 and a mark v. I've heard various artists that use them and wondered what the major difference between them? I am thinking of getting a mark v and would love to hear from people that have changed from a road king or rectifier for the mark v.

Cheers

Paul

I've owned a RK2 and I currently own a Mark V. They are pretty much night and day in terms of tone (with the exception of the clean channel, I found them to be quite similar as they're based off the Lonestar clean), but both are wonderful amps...it depends on what you are looking for. The RK is very high gain, has a huge amount of low end, with the low end not being very tight (which ended up being one of the main reasons I traded up to the MkV). Great amp though, very flexible with the 6L6/EL34 switching, the 2 effects loops, and all the different sounds at your fingertips....

The MkV is a monster amp, with a tight low end, the graphic eq for added tonal flexibility, and a more "palatable" sound in my opinion as compared to the RK.

They are both awesome in their own right.

sonancestudios said:
I've owned a RK2 and I currently own a Mark V. They are pretty much night and day in terms of tone (with the exception of the clean channel, I found them to be quite similar as they're based off the Lonestar clean), but both are wonderful amps...it depends on what you are looking for. The RK is very high gain, has a huge amount of low end, with the low end not being very tight (which ended up being one of the main reasons I traded up to the MkV). Great amp though, very flexible with the 6L6/EL34 switching, the 2 effects loops, and all the different sounds at your fingertips....

The MkV is a monster amp, with a tight low end, the graphic eq for added tonal flexibility, and a more "palatable" sound in my opinion as compared to the RK.

They are both awesome in their own right.

Thanks for the feedback that's helped quite a bit. I do like my high gain but sometimes I feel it is too low ended and I don't feel like it cuts through quite enough especially with the other guitarist in the band.

I do love the clean chan on th road king very pristine and clear. It sounds like the mark v might be bette suited to my taste. My band tends to play a variety of covers guns n roses foos beatles and loads more. I'm just wondering is the mark 5 just 6l6 based or are there el34's too?

Thanks again

Paul

konstantine RK said:
So you selling that RK II anytime soon? :wink:

Not at the moment I'm afraid. Maybe next year when I get some cash together to buy the mark v

The Mk5 can do either 6l6 or el34 with a tube change and the flick of a toggle switch on the back of the amp. The mark does high gain extremely well, and I personally feel that it is one of the most versatile amps you can find and I prefer it greatly over the RK. The RK can't do tight bass response whereas you can definitely make the mark flub the low end.....

I was a bit afraid the Mark V didn't have enough gain...
I tried it, liked it a lot!
Now that I have it I find strange how can someone need the Rectifier high gain when having a Mark V. Its all the gain I need on Mark IV, Extreme channel is just PERFECT, and has a lot more gain than what I need.
I play prog black metal... (prog is what they say, i just thought about creating black metal :) )

Both are great amps. It depends on you if you want the Recto gain or the Mark gain. They DO have different cleans. The Roadking has Lonestar cleans and the Mark does not.

Way differnet gain styles. The Recto has such low end, that is massive and when chugging on the low strings, you can feel it in your chest. The High end though is what draws me away from the recto series, it kinda brittle and fizzy, the MV is much more smooth on the top end.

ID say the RK gets the win for cleans all around.

You can cover heavier ground with with the RK, and you can cover smoother ground with the MV.

All is my perspective of course :)

i used to have R2 and currently own the Mark V.
Cleans are not that much different in the Fat mode.
As stated above the R2 has massive low end for heavy riffing what i miss sometimes, i can get close with Mark V in extreme mode and 5Band EQ engaged. Gain about the same, R2 can get flubby.
The biggest difference is in the LEAD tone! The R2 sounds too fizzy and thin, the Mark V has fat, liquid, defined, compressed lead tone which i love.
Overall the Mark V fits my needs and what we play in the band better, its smaller and lighter.

Long live the Roadking... I don't need to even hear a Mark V.... Guitar Center kinda ruined the Mark V for me when I plugged into one

HAIL TO THE KING!

Back