RKII

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
123thefirst said:
Quite frankly your posts and those of IbanezForLife sound a bit heavy-handed and off-balance. It sounds like you guys have a chip on your shoulders or something...

IbanezforLife has owned a Dual Rectifier for a few years now, so he knows the amp..

+

I have to say: If I were to pick between the RKII or the Mark IV for classic rock, I'd pick a Mark IV. It can get a nice bluesy-breakup, ala Walter Trout, and it can get a smooth lead, ala Santana. I also feel like the cleans are a tad superior on the Mark IV, but the RKII's are pretty great. Both amps totally rock, its just that for much cheaper, you can get a Mark IV, and, at the very least, its on par with the RKII.

*Warning-Rant Content*
I've been finding it very interesting reading the Mark IV vs Recto (RK, roadster, DR, TR, TOV, SR, etc) debates. I've owned both for a while now, and regardless of which one I play- I still sound like me.
I think you should be able to find usable and downright amazing tones with both, if you can't, chances are it's your own playing and ability your not happy with, and instead of improving what really matters, you spend more money on more and more gear.
Yes, the Mark IV and Recto's sound different, but if you look at someone like Randy Rhoads- amazing guitarist, killer songwriter, etc- his tone sounded like ***!!! He's one of hero's and I still listen to his recordings all the time, but his guitar sounds like a bee hive, but it works because he was just that good of a player. Also, are you guys using these amps in a band setting or by yourself, because all the little nuances that make the perfect tone don't come across in a band setting, a drummer can make all the difference in how your high end sounds in comparison to his cymbals, how the bass player eq's his amp is also gonna make a huge difference in your guitar sounds.

I understand that some amps just don't work perfect for some people, but if the player is good enough, your not gonna hear a little extra fuzz here, or too much mids there- your gonna hear an amazing player, not the amp.

Matterra said:
123thefirst said:
Quite frankly your posts and those of IbanezForLife sound a bit heavy-handed and off-balance. It sounds like you guys have a chip on your shoulders or something...

IbanezforLife has owned a Dual Rectifier for a few years now, so he knows the amp..

+

I have to say: If I were to pick between the RKII or the Mark IV for classic rock, I'd pick a Mark IV. It can get a nice bluesy-breakup, ala Walter Trout, and it can get a smooth lead, ala Santana. I also feel like the cleans are a tad superior on the Mark IV, but the RKII's are pretty great. Both amps totally rock, its just that for much cheaper, you can get a Mark IV, and, at the very least, its on par with the RKII.

+1 well said

ToneAddictJon said:
*Warning-Rant Content*
I've been finding it very interesting reading the Mark IV vs Recto (RK, roadster, DR, TR, TOV, SR, etc) debates. I've owned both for a while now, and regardless of which one I play- I still sound like me.
I think you should be able to find usable and downright amazing tones with both, if you can't, chances are it's your own playing and ability your not happy with, and instead of improving what really matters, you spend more money on more and more gear.
Yes, the Mark IV and Recto's sound different, but if you look at someone like Randy Rhoads- amazing guitarist, killer songwriter, etc- his tone sounded like ***!!! He's one of hero's and I still listen to his recordings all the time, but his guitar sounds like a bee hive, but it works because he was just that good of a player. Also, are you guys using these amps in a band setting or by yourself, because all the little nuances that make the perfect tone don't come across in a band setting, a drummer can make all the difference in how your high end sounds in comparison to his cymbals, how the bass player eq's his amp is also gonna make a huge difference in your guitar sounds.

I understand that some amps just don't work perfect for some people, but if the player is good enough, your not gonna hear a little extra fuzz here, or too much mids there- your gonna hear an amazing player, not the amp.

+1 if I could only express myself as well as you guys, well said

... you should be able to find usable and downright amazing tones with both, if you can't, chances are it's your own playing and ability your not happy with, and instead of improving what really matters, you spend more money on more and more gear.

... this is so true for so many 'guitarists' out there; as evidenced by the thriving music gear industry.

That being said, I still love reading everyone's input on Mesa regardless of their point of view or perspective. If you step back, you see that many of us are just passionate about the purchasing decisions we have made - and just want others to understand why.

Wow, Tone Addict Jon really voiced it well.

(I especially agree with the Randy Rhoads comment, his tone did suck.)

As the old phrase goes "If Eddie Van Halen played a starter guitar pack, he'd still sound like Eddie Van Halen"

I've A/Bed an early 2 channel DR (but not pre 500 by any means) with my Roadster (which is basically a Road King Series 2 without the EL34's) and got very, very close to my favorite DR heavy gain setting.. I've done the same with a Fender 1959 Bassman Reissue and got a comparable tone with the channel 1 Tweed from the Roadster even with a closed-back 4 by 12 traditional cab.. now that's a lot of versatility and I think well worth the 2 grand I shelled.. btw if you're not into marshall tones (EL34 power stage) then get the Roadster instead of the Road King 2.. of course you still get the A/B speaker function and the extra effects loop with the Road King so that might be something to consider as well

ToneAddictJon said:
*Warning-Rant Content* ...

+3

This is not a Mk4 vs. RKII thread, so to each his own.

To the OP, buy if the RK has your style and more. Try a Mark series and see if the tone is there too. You may be suprised at how much money you can save if you are looking for a particular tone that both can do.

MesaDCLP said:
To the OP, buy if the RK has your style and more. Try a Mark series and see if the tone is there too. You may be suprised at how much money you can save if you are looking for a particular tone that both can do.
That's probably the best advice you're going to get. The Mark amps sound great. The RK amps sound great. If you get the sound you need out of a cheaper amp, why buy the more expensive amp? More importantly, if one amp or the other "sounds like you", that's what you need to buy.

rainsong86 said:
I've A/Bed an early 2 channel DR (but not pre 500 by any means) with my Roadster (which is basically a Road King Series 2 without the EL34's) and got very, very close to my favorite DR heavy gain setting.. I've done the same with a Fender 1959 Bassman Reissue and got a comparable tone with the channel 1 Tweed from the Roadster even with a closed-back 4 by 12 traditional cab.. now that's a lot of versatility and I think well worth the 2 grand I shelled.. btw if you're not into marshall tones (EL34 power stage) then get the Roadster instead of the Road King 2.. of course you still get the A/B speaker function and the extra effects loop with the Road King so that might be something to consider as well
As far as the Roadster... you can also swap the 6L6 tubes for EL34s if you want something closer to the Marshall style.

guitarmaster said:
Matterra said:

Do you really think that to own an amp is enough to be able to extract "juice" from it ???? A lot of people forget that guitar skills are more important than amps played. I would like to see a young noob with a Mark IIC+ or a Road king II...............probably the guy wouldn't be able to play them like a pro. Mark IIC+, MarkIII were great amps (only if played by right guitarists), Road king II is an insteresting amp and it's like a lot of tube amps : in wrong hands it could play bad. I agree with Boogiebabies : Dual Rectifier '92 + Mark IIC+/Mark III (both)and nothing else.

That is very true, but its important to remember, I wasn't saying he "extracted juice" from his amp. I was saying that he isn't as hugely biased as some were making him out to be.

If you want bone-crushing, modern rhythms (tight bass with some fizzle on top) then go RK. If you want more crunchy high-gain rhythms like metallica stuff go MK IV. OR buy both and enjoy both!!

jamme61 said:
Yes right, but, how much? express 5:50$1200 RKII $2500? or more? worth it? maybe to you? that's cool.

What does the price have to do with it? The Express is a different amp. It's not a $1200 substitute for a Road King II. If you just want an amp that says "Mesa" on it, then fine. Otherwise, you can't just ****-can the flag-ship Mesa amp as "not being worth it".

I would love a RKII with a 5 watt option on it. that makes sense to me, why isn't it on there?

jamme61 said:
I would love a RKII with a 5 watt option on it. that makes sense to me, why isn't it on there?

You might be able to get it close with Yellow Jackets in the EL34 slots

jamme61 said:

Nice idea (Class A output of course). Do you think we'd upset Randall a bit if we developed
a little drop-in board/toggle switch and circuit mod?

It would also give us the, what's it called, SimulClass power option of a combined
Class A 10 watt (first 6L6 pair) and Class AB (second 6L6 pair) in the 4 x 6L6 mode.

Latest posts

Back