RKII Problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
i got my rkII b4 most and it has ext. trigger no tuner out. it even has the crackling problem and for some reason ch 2 sounds buzzy lately. almost driven even with gain at 11:30. i dnt think its dead tubes. will mesa make a realtime runthrough on my amp and fix out the kinks? has anyone repaired the problems w/ their rkII? also besides the ch3 vintage to ch4 modern crackling problem i think theres a crackle between 1 fat and 4 vintage. why are their kinks in such high quality amps? i know the roadster was recalled? i almost want them to recall this and get it right. will they fix it for me if i go to the factory?> how do i schedule this?

I'd call mesa in person (number is at mesaboogie.com). They'll probably walk you through a couple of test and if that doesn't work they'll decide what to do from there. Probably either send it in or take it to a certified mesa repair tech.

kingster911 said:
i got my rkII b4 most and it has ext. trigger no tuner out. it even has the crackling problem and for some reason ch 2 sounds buzzy lately. almost driven even with gain at 11:30. i dnt think its dead tubes. will mesa make a realtime runthrough on my amp and fix out the kinks? has anyone repaired the problems w/ their rkII? also besides the ch3 vintage to ch4 modern crackling problem i think theres a crackle between 1 fat and 4 vintage. why are their kinks in such high quality amps? i know the roadster was recalled? i almost want them to recall this and get it right. will they fix it for me if i go to the factory?> how do i schedule this?

Call Mesa artist relations asap . Remember you have a warranty . You need to make sure you get satisfaction as you paid lots of dough for that amp. I had a problem with my series 1 but they took care of me very nicely .

talking to Mesa today about my RK II problem, I asked the guy since my RK was a week old why I did not have the Tuner Out, as some here have posted they have it ..

He said .. " No way, we have not made, nor shipped a RK II with a tuner out yet, and wont for a couple months" ..

well that last post was irrelevant but yeah I'm down at school right now but I live in Novato just out of Petaluma. I'm going to take it in in December. What if I have a little rip on the bottom of the amp because I rolled it over a curb? Lemme guess the warranty is not there anymore? I'd rather em just fix it though. Could it b a AX7 burnt out? Is that the buzziness on Ch 2?

Before going out to Mesa why not ask for a full retube of the preamp? Your problem with channel 2 could be so many things but about the only things you can do are replace the tubes and make sure all of the switches and dodads are not in an in between position.

As to why there are problems..... Do you know how much friggin circuitry is in that **** thing? Hand made? You might as well forget about consistency. This is why many custom amp makers hate making anything over 2 channels. The use of LDR's for switching is pretty crappy when you have to stack them 3 or 4 high since they are known for going bad (at least more so than relays). I had 2 go bad in my Triaxis so the FX loop wasn't working. Luckily, I can repair them myself.

I think Mesa went a little over board on this amp. I hope they fix your problems though. Good luck.

I would give them a call and tell them what is wrong and hopefully they will point you in the right direction.

The problems you are having don't exist in my RKII? Did you have these from the start?

Unless you're a millionaire, call 'em........

I work a decent job but **** man, that's not a cheap piece of gear....

I've not been without my share of headaches with the RK II....... And I'm sure I'm not done...... Not that I'm saying it's bad........

I love my RK II....... LOVE IT!!!

I love my wife too........... LOVE HER!!!

however, (notice I did not say "but")

however,

sometimes she gives me some problems and makes me want to kick and scream in blind stress and anger at some of the fickle, costly bullshit I've had to endure with her........

The amp I mean, ..... The amp..... The Roadking...... I was talking about the Roadking..... :roll:

I bought a Roadking for many reasons...... One is, of course, the amp.... Another reason was the reputation they have and what I had heard about the customer support/service..... That it was good and they cared about and backed their products....

I don't expect a tossed salad but **** man, that's a chunk of change for an amp..... Sorry I have to bother you with a call for some satisfaction with your product but hey, I paid hard earned money for this so thanks for the help...

Peace

disassembled said:
Before going out to Mesa why not ask for a full retube of the preamp? Your problem with channel 2 could be so many things but about the only things you can do are replace the tubes and make sure all of the switches and dodads are not in an in between position.

As to why there are problems..... Do you know how much friggin circuitry is in that **** thing? Hand made? You might as well forget about consistency. This is why many custom amp makers hate making anything over 2 channels. The use of LDR's for switching is pretty crappy when you have to stack them 3 or 4 high since they are known for going bad (at least more so than relays). I had 2 go bad in my Triaxis so the FX loop wasn't working. Luckily, I can repair them myself.

I think Mesa went a little over board on this amp. I hope they fix your problems though. Good luck.

There are no LDR's in the RK I or RK II. The switching is all J175's and relays.

Don't stress. Mesa will do right by you if you meet them halfway. Go through the trouble-shooting tips in the manual, call them if you want & then since you're so close, take the amp to them if there are still problems. They'll keep if for a couple of days & return it to in perfect working order. The warranty covers defects in materials & workmanship not negligence though so don't expect cosmetic freebies. I've had a couple of amps in to them & each time they've done a fantastic job.

good luck.

I wasn't expecting cosmetics freebies I was asking a question. Sigh...Anyway, the problem with Ch. 2 just started. I don't know what it is. None of the siwtches are halfway or anything. I would know if they were. It's not that bad to use a loop without putting the loop switch on the chanel I'm using it on on is it? Do the loops work almost the same as the external trigger? If I go to the channel where the delay is set up for the loop, then it'll turn it on and when I leave it'l turn it off?

Boogiebabies said:
disassembled said:

There are no LDR's in the RK I or RK II. The switching is all J175's and relays.

I am glad they finally got it right :)

Back