Ridiculous pricing of new guitars

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the "new" Charvels?

The price is ridiculous. I remember back in the 80's before they merged with Jackson when they were cheap guitars.

I mean c'mon... a tired body with a typical finish, a single humbucker and volume knob, a floyd licensed trem or a fender style trem, a 3 piece bolton neck... $3000? Give me a friggin break. Someone is sniffin the lacquer...

Who do they tink they are? That is ridiculous.

What about the new Eddie guitars? That too should be examined. Or maybe just the heads of those buying those guitars should be.

Don't even get me started on ESP.

+1000 on everything you said!!! :evil:

Prices are going crazy! Would that be coz of the oil price??? :shock:

I can see where some of the custom builders get a premium price. You are paying in part for the unique artistry and being able to get something that is exclusive. That's a different world and I like seeing an individual get recognition for their personal labor. They are usually very detail oriented and cognizant of customer service.

But, on production type guitars, it's hard to justify in my view. There must be some musicians out there who are willing to bite that bullet, or you wouldn't see it happening.

The body wood of those 2-3k EVH models? Basswood.

Count me in with the lacquer-sniffing theory.

Nocturno_Culto said:
+1000 on everything you said!!! :evil:

Prices are going crazy! Would that be coz of the oil price??? :shock:

+11111

I think it's because of Hurricane Katrina.
No... maybe it's Al-queda.
Wait... it must be illegal immigrants.
:wink:

A bass player buddy of mine just bought one of the EVH's. I told him he was nuts, but he had to have it... go figure. :roll:

Chris... 8)

Here in the States:
paid 1,900 for a Jackson Warrior...
paid 1,900 for a LP Standard LE
(and it wasn't that cheap!)

now...if I even TRY to THINK to get those in Italy...
3,200 euros for the Jackson
2,900 euros for the Les Paul

Wanna talk about that???!!!! :evil:

Damned Al Queda :wink:

chedgeco said:
A bass player buddy of mine just bought one of the EVH's. I told him he was nuts, but he had to have it... go figure. :roll:

Chris... 8)

Even using relatively 'expensive' Warmoth necks and bodies, you can make one with better or equal specs for a third the price.

Guitarzan said:
One word for everyone here...Warmoth.
I'm on another board and Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, Musikfits
etc ... and those bold hobby luthiers glue-on necks SoulMate Guitars are our suppliers for both hobbiests, and professional luithers.

You listening kingster911 :D

Yes, $3,000 is way to exsessive for a guitar with a basswood body (yucck!). I mean, c'mon, you'd think for that price you think that they'd at least put an alder or an ash body on those....basswood has to be the most toneless, dead sounding wood out there.

If I was in the market for that type of guitar & was willing to spend that much on an axe, I would rather buy a "Wayne" guitar, which are built by Mr Wayne Charvel himself, they are the real "Charvels" now. Fender now owns Charvel, so go figure.....

This is probably the fourth thread I've said this on, but.................................

That's corporate America for ya!

eldi said:
Yes, $3,000 is way to exsessive for a guitar with a basswood body (yucck!). I mean, c'mon, you'd think for that price you think that they'd at least put an alder or an ash body on those....basswood has to be the most toneless, dead sounding wood out there.
:?: Hmmm ....

I guess your conclusion means Steve Vai's and Joe Satriani's Ibanez models made of basswood are toneless dead sounding guitars. Same with Eddie Van Halen asked Peavey to use basswood with a maple top on his model.

RR said:
eldi said:
:?: Hmmm ....

I guess your conclusion means Steve Vai's and Joe Satriani's Ibanez models made of basswood are toneless dead sounding guitars. Same with Eddie Van Halen asked Peavey to use basswood with a maple top on his model.

I'd put my Les Paul Classic(Mahogany with maple top), my US '57 Reissue Fender Strat (Alder body), and even my '85 Kramer Pacer (Maple body) against any "artist model" Ibanez or Peavey any day......IMO, basswood bodies combined with a Floyd Rose style tremolo are recipes for uninspiring sounding guitars, although the maple top on the Wolfgang may help bring out some brightness and sustain, and I admit I do like the way the necks feel on the Wolfgangs & the EVH Musicman model, but take away the maple top, & I assure you, the Wolfgang would make a lousy guitar. But isn't there an Ibanez JEM model with an alder body available? My first "pro level" guitar was a late 80's Ibanez RG-550 (A guitar I believe Steve Vai also helped design, with basswood body, & an "Edge" F. Rose style tremolo.) I didn't realize how awful that guitar was until I bought my first Les Paul. (And even they can have variables in tone, I own a Custom & a Classic, & my Classic kicks my Customs *** all the way around.) The Ibanez sounded cold, dull, & had hardly any sustain when compared to any of my current axes (I still have that guitar, haven't played it in over 10 years, I plan on making a sculpture out of it). And, many times with "artist" signature models, many times the guitars that the artists might play on stage or in the studio might appear to be the model they have designed/endorsed, but are actually "ghost built" by an independent luthier and made to the artist model specs, complete with the logo of the mfg that is endorsing that artist, to be in compliance with the contract that the artist might have with the mfg, while the units that make their way to the music store are being shipped in from the factory in Korea, Japan, etc. Just because an artist endorses/designs a guitar doesn't make it any better. I see way more pros playing P.R.Smiths, Les Pauls, and vintage style Fenders, (and they are probably not even endorsees, they probably bought them, and thats not to mention the boutique guitars like Tom Andersons & the like) than I see playing JEM's, Wolfgangs & Satriani models, if that says anything.....

$3,000 is still way too much to pay for a basswood bodied guitar, even if it has the "Charvel" name on it with Eddie Van Halen's endorsement. Not when I could buy a real vintage "San Dimas" Charvel with real tone wood for a body or even a new PRS for less $!

eldi:

I'm on luthier bulliten board and we discuss a how to do 'this', 'that', our Fender styled guitars are swamp ash, alder (obvious), and we like mahogany w/ figured maple tops ala "PRS".

When shredder type guitar post comes up, the recommended woods are basswood and mahogany. Yes, you could use mahogany /w maple tops too, matter of preference. But basswood and mahogany are very common building a shredder guitar because of that resonance.

But Les Pauls are a different bred of guitars, thick mahogany w/ maple tops. I have an old Gibson Les Paul and three LP type in the making. Les Paul has a thick fat sustaining tone. So if you are a Les Paul guy, other guitars will sound much different. (in a way I lean toward Les Pauls as my favorite sounding guitars).

Yes, true about "ghost built" guitars but assure you Steve Vai's "Monkey handle" Ibanez (JEM?) as well as Satriani's "Chrome Boy" are basswood. I'll even dig up the Guitar Player Magazines to support my statement. Its not the advertisements but the actual articles with their technicians discuss these guitars.

eldi said:
$3,000 is still way too much to pay for a basswood bodied guitar, even if it has the "Charvel" name on it with Eddie Van Halen's endorsement. Not when I could buy a real vintage "San Dimas" Charvel with real tone wood for a body or even a new PRS for less $!
True, now that's alot hype on a guitar that could be build for less.

I think these guys are trying to get the middle aged cats who dug the charvel stuff in the 80's but ditched em in the 90's for ibanezes or jagstangs or just cuz they quit and got a real job. Now that real job pays some real cash and they want to relive their youth. I agree, I wouldn't pay more than 5 or 6 C notes for a single hum floyd equiped basswood plain black guitar.

My .02
Scott

eldi said:

Some of the best sounding Strat's out there are made of basswood with a maple top.....still not worth the price they're asking though. If I was after an basswood/floyd guitar I could get a high end Ibanez for much less.

I'm on luthier bulliten board and we discuss a how to do 'this', 'that', our Fender styled guitars are swamp ash, alder (obvious), and we like mahogany w/ figured maple tops ala "PRS".

RR, you mention a luthier bulletin in your post. Is there a link available. Sounds very interesting. Many thanks.[/quote]

John:

Take your pick. :D

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/forum.htm

As for the actual topic of type of woods or anything particular, I'm not sure which board that was in. :?

"and we like mahogany w/ figured maple tops ala "PRS"."

Didn't Gibson do that first? :D

Latest posts

Back