Retubing Triaxis?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Scotsman

Reaction score
I think my triaxis needs re-tubed because whenever I lightly touch the rack its in, or play at relatively loud volumes, I hear some sort of "pinging" noise come through the cab. Is this what people call "microphonics"?

If it needs retubed, then can someone tell me what tubes I need to purchase? I know they are 12AX7's but I have came across numerous "brands" and want to know what I should buy. It may be worth mentioning that I play metal/death and need a good saturated distortion with lots of harmonics that retains clarity.

Thanks in advance!

mesa stock tube is your better option. :wink:
I already used lots of brands but stock mesa tubes always sounded better.
At least to my tastes. :D

Mesa doesn't make tubes so if Mesa tubes sound better it's all in your head.

What Mesa does is test them before putting them in boxes and what you are hearing are GOOD tubes.

To the OP:

Call Doug from dougstube.com and tell him what sound you are after. He can set you up with a set of tubes based on your tonal needs.

He also doesn't charge as much as mesa.

Greg

disassembled said:
Mesa doesn't make tubes so if Mesa tubes sound better it's all in your head.

Greg

No they won't but they use chinese and russian ones.
What I'm trying to say is with the stock ones (doesn't matter where they are fabricated) tone is so much warmer and heavy.
And obviously it's all in my head , that's my personal taste :wink:

if Mesa tubes sound better it's all in your head.

I'm sorry but this is the most stupid thing somebody said to me.
Everything about sound are personal tastes so they're all in OUR heads !!!!!!!! :shock:

Try some jj or EH. They sounds good to my ears. My suggestion is to try different brands so you can do the best choice for your music. Opinions are always different and for the first time retubing it become more complex buy a specific brand instead another. So, buy some different tubes and try them more in depth....play for a day or a night or a week. Give to your mind the right time to understand the slightly differences between differnt tubes, and only after this test, make your retubing job.

Follow your ears and not your eyes.

Not always a famous brand=top sound/quality

good luck :wink:

I know power amp tubes should be matched and come in pairs or quads...but there are 5 pre amp tubes in the triaxis so do these have to be matched like power tubes, or can you buy them individually and replace them individually?

+1 on the Doug's Tubes recommendation. He was great to work with....I otld him the type music I play and he suggested the tubes I needed to better acquire that sound...when i got the tubes I was not dissapointed....and the price was very reasonable.

Mad Scotsman said:
I know power amp tubes should be matched and come in pairs or quads...but there are 5 pre amp tubes in the triaxis so do these have to be matched like power tubes, or can you buy them individually and replace them individually?

Pre tubes don't need to be matched,you can use any brand you want . :wink:

Be careful with 12AX7A JJs.Some stores love to sell them according to their profits.
I used them in my triaxis and they really sucked my tone.Triaxis distortion sounded like a boss overdrive,terrible !
Luck

the tubes dont have to be matched perfectly, they all do different functions such as buffering the effects loop.

tube position functions
v1=lead1 input
v2=input for all other modes
v3=lead and rhythm mixer
v4=lead2
v5=effects return stage

Latest posts

Back