retubing a triple rectifer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytheplatypus

Reaction score
any suggestions on tubes?
i like gain, i like metal, but i love my clean tone (all stock tubes right now).
i want to replce all 14 tubes with brand new ones, just cause i figured if im gonna do a few might as well do em all
For tones, i like kirk hammet, petrucci, lamb of god (i know icant get all these sounds, but maybe something in the middle?)

i use the silicon diodes, so im not too worried aobut my choice of 5U4G's (ill probalby just get 3 mesa tubes), but I know jack all about tubes, and i trust your guy's opinions so, heres my questions:

6L6 or EL34? I really like my tone how it is, so i think ill be sticking with 6l6's unless ppl have some good reasons to swithc.
What 6L6's?

and as for the 12ax7's, any reccomendations there?

thanks y'all

for my dual rectifier, i have a Mesa SPAX7 in V1 and Groove Tubes ECC83s in the rest of the preamp. would live to get my hands on a Groove Tubes mullard reissue for V1, but the Mesa sounds good.

For power tubes, I run JJ 6L6GC's and for rectifier tubes, I run Electro-Harmonix 5U4G's. Sounds great to me. :)

Latest posts

Back