Retubing a TriAxis a 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yes and no...
For example a 12AT7 draw more current than a 12AX7. So if you plug 5 12AT7 instead of 5 12AX7 it may cause some problem to your power transformer if it is near his limits. But I think it will not happens with mesa gear.
I've used myself 3 12AT7 and 2 12AX7 in my TA without any problem.

So here are a couple of the tube choices I have seen in this thread...

V1 : JAN PhillipsECG 12AX7WA
V2: Mullard CV4024 (12AT7)
V3: Mullard 12AX7 reissue
V4: Jan PhillipsECG 12AX7WA
V5: ElectroHarmonix 12AX7A

V1 = Raytheon long black plate, halo-getter12AX7
V2 = Mullard CV4024/12AT7WA (654 type, ’70’s-‘80’s production)
V3 = RCA 5751 black plate/3-mica
V4 = Mullard long plate/halo getter ECC83 (f91 and f92 types, late ‘50’s production)
V5 = RCA black plate 12BZ7

Right now it's still all Greek to me, these two examples look VERY different except for V2 which kinda "appears" to be the about same. I couldn't tell what the difference in current draw is based on that information if my life depended on it! How do you know what the current draw of a tube is; moreover, how do you know what your preamp (like a Triaxis) will handle?

I know I'll get throught this but right now I feel like I'm gonna explode with information!! :wink:

Spoons said:
So here are a couple of the tube choices I have seen in this thread...

V1 : JAN PhillipsECG 12AX7WA
V5: ElectroHarmonix 12AX7A

V1 = Raytheon long black plate, halo-getter12AX7
V2 = Mullard CV4024/12AT7WA (654 type, ’70’s-‘80’s production)
V3 = RCA 5751 black plate/3-mica
V4 = Mullard long plate/halo getter ECC83 (f91 and f92 types, late ‘50’s production)
V5 = RCA black plate 12BZ7

Right now it's still all Greek to me, these two examples look VERY different except for V2 which kinda "appears" to be the about same. I couldn't tell what the difference in current draw is based on that information if my life depended on it! How do you know what the current draw of a tube is; moreover, how do you know what your preamp (like a Triaxis) will handle?

I know I'll get throught this but right now I feel like I'm gonna explode with information!! :wink:

Just as in a good Thanksgiving banquet, you've got to learn to pace yourself. Otherwise, you'll end up like Mr. Creosote.

The terms used to describe tubes, like "black-plate" or "square-getter" are just a way of distinguishing which exact version of a manufacturer's tubes. There is quite a sonic character difference between a long black-plate Sylvania 12AX7, and a long gray-plate Sylvania 12AX7, for instance. "Long" plates are approximately 17mm, whereas "short" are 14mm, by the way. Just ask if you need clarification on the terms.

The second tube set, beginning with a Raytheon black-plate 12AX7A, is from my earliest posting. Since that time, I changed the V1 from the Raytheon to a 1956 short black-plate Sylvania 12AX7, and V2 from a Mullard CV4024 to a '50s black-plate RCA 12AT7. This change allowed me to keep the early-breakup quality I liked from the Raytheon, in Lead 1 modes, since the Sylvania also breaks up early, but get the advantage of fatter low frequencies afforded by the Sylvania (Raytheon has thinner bass) in Lead 1.

The RCA black-plate 12AT7 has the more lively dynamic response that I've come to recognize as associated with earlier black-plate tubes. This 12AT7 is more like other 12AT7 - it is tonally thinner and brighter than the Mullard CV4024 (which is also a 12AT7). The extra fat of the short black-plate Sylvania is offset by this thinner-sounding RCA, to a degree, and I made the V1 and V2 swaps at the same time, so the tubes could compliment each other.

That said, I'd recommend the Raytheon 12AX7A V1 and Mullard CV4024 V2 combination, simply because those tubes are more readily available. The short black-plate Sylvania 12AX7 was only made in 1956, and is difficult to obtain.

Now, to the current draw question:
In comparison to the 12AX7 the circuits were designed for, the 12AT7 and 12BZ7 will draw more current. How much? Here is a useful reference link: WeberVST Tube Data Page. A 12AX7 heater draws 300 mA; 12AT7 draws 450mA, and 12BZ7 draws 600mA. That is 450mA more than the Triaxis was designed for. But most amp manufacturers over-spec their designs, and Mesa is no slouch in this regard. Can it be a problem? I can only testify that I've been running my Triaxis for years, now, this way - not a problem for me!

Bon appetit! :mrgreen:

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
...I'd recommend the Raytheon 12AX7A V1 and Mullard CV4024 V2 combination, simply because those tubes are more readily available...
Yep, those are the ones I ordered. Thanks for all the help.

Question for the tube Guru "Timber Wolf"...

Is the RCA Black Plate 12BZ7 suppose to be a taller tube than the other 12AX7 etc tubes? I picked one up off of ebay and it is a full 1/2" taller that all the other tubes. This tube appears to have the proper RCA markings on it and it is labeled 12BZ7 with black plates and a circle getter with the correct pin configuration. I figured I'd ask before I do something wrong.

Spoons said:
Question for the tube Guru "Timber Wolf"...
Who is that?? :roll: ...Well, since I'm Timbre Wolf, I guess I'm close enough... :mrgreen:

Yes, the 12BZ7 is taller - about 3/8" taller, and that is the way it is supposed to be. It has longer plates than a 12AX7, too, and I believe its increased clarity is associated with that (as is the increased clarity of "long" vs. "short" plate 12AX7). Hope you like it!

- Thom

I think the 12BZ7 tube is shot, almost no volume get through it. Can the tube be tested with an ohm meter, I have a rather sensitive one?

FYI
V1: Stock MESA 12AX7 Tube, the JAN PhillipsECG 12AX7WA didn't impress me in there.
V5: Stock MESA 12AX7 tube

These tube have gotten rid of the annoying buzz and smoothed things out to have better clarity across the board. So far, so good.

Spoons said:
I think the 12BZ7 tube is shot, almost no volume get through it. Can the tube be tested with an ohm meter, I have a rather sensitive one?
You can't test the tube on an ohm meter. But your amp is a great tube tester. If you're sure the pins are strait and clean, and you get the same result in another position as well, then I'd say you got a dud. Sorry - sometimes that happens. :cry:

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
Spoons said:
You can't test the tube on an ohm meter. But your amp is a great tube tester. If you're sure the pins are strait and clean, and you get the same result in another position as well, then I'd say you got a dud. Sorry - sometimes that happens. :cry:

- T
Yup, that's what I thought. At least it was CHEAP!!!!

Latest posts

Back