Replacing pots

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Reaction score
Okay. So I bought a new pot for my lead master knob (channel 1), but after comparing the old one and the new one, they look slightly different. It's a push/pull switchable, but I'm not too certain about how do I rewire this new pot to the Quad. At the first glance, the new pot seems to look like it is the reverse of the old one, but I might just be deceiving myself here.

Here are the pics (click the thumbnails for better detail):

I contacted Mesa, sent them the pictures but got no answer so far.

So can anyone tell me how this should be done properly?

Thanks in advance.

looks fine to me... I would hope that the place you got it from has supplied a pot with the correct resistance and log/lin type. Did you specify that it was for a Quad?

The switch wires look as if they need to go to the two front terminals. The three tags at the back will be the track and wiper terminals. What you really need is multimeter with continuity check and resistance meter then you could 'ring out' the terminals and find out exactly what they're doing. HTH

I did specify it to Mesa. I told em it was for the quad's lead master for channel 1, and they just gave me the name of the distributor and the product number, so all in all, it's pretty much it.

Ehm I'm not sure I quite understand that. Electronics aren't really my thing unfortunately. So any way you could tell me which wire color should go where on the new pot? That is, if this is determinable by just looking at the image.

So from what I can see, there's the pale orange, one white, one yellow wire and two metal leads, one being connected to the pale orange, and the other next to the yellow, so how do I reconnect all of these to the new pot?
I'm assuming that if something is corrected wrongly, then the amp will probably...suffer.

ooooh-kayyyy....

do you have the part number they gave you for the pot? I could look it up on the net and see if I can find a data sheet on it so I can know for definite which tag is what...

ok, should be pretty much a straight swap. The two tags on the back of the old pot should correspond to the two tags on the front of the new pot. My only concern is that the yellow wire on the back of the old pot is long enough to reach the tag on the front of the new pot. I haven't got my Quad open in front of me so I can't see if there's any slack.

How's your soldering? You'll really need to get these joints spot-on... You'll not wreck anything if you get it wrong but a badly soldered joint could mean that your lead1 channel will cut out on you at some point. Not good during a show.

Otherwise, just move the three other wires to the corresponding tags on the new pot.

The colours on the pic look different to the wires you've described...

good luck!

Wow man! Really appreciate the help cause this is a life saver. :D
A friend of mine said he'd solder this baby for me when he goes home this weekend, as all of his soldering equipment is there. I'll pass the instructions to him and I'll tell em exactly what you told me.

Again, thanks a lot for the help.

Latest posts

Back