Replacing my Studio pre with a triaxis?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

The only piece of Mesa Gear I own is the studio pre. I use it along a Randall RM4 that gives me amazing marshall and rectifier tones (Grail module). The studio pre gives me two things:

- A clean sound (all four RM4 modules are overdrive/hi-gain)
- An incredible classic rock rhytm lead sound (with and without a maxon OD-9 front end booster.

The studio pre's overdrive is fabulous. Still I am frustrated about the clean sound situation. I just used 3 guitars that are nothing alike: A flying V with EMGs, a strat and a Gibson SG.

Finding a middle ground on the clean channel is really tough and I am thinking of moving to a triaxis for this purpose. Having various clean configuration and gian setting per guitar will be a big improvment.

Still I wonder if I'll get the exact same OD sound. I know this has been discussed before on this forum, but what I like about the studio pre is it's warm, organic sound. Would the triaxis be massively different or could I get really close to the point where I have to A/B them to spot the difference?

I say after using a TA, and then leaving it for a few years....then coming back to it, I have to say it's the best sounds I've had both on the clean, and dirty sounds, takes a little while to master but it really is (to my ears at least) the best you can have!! and I've played Soldano, Marshall..etc

Be brave you won't be disappointed

regards

Thanks I'm sure the triaxis is a great piece of gear, but have you tried the studio pre specifically? :D

The studio pre and triaxis will have a different feel but they both will have a similar tone.

The only true answer is for you to obtain both at the same and see how they compare to you.

Greg

I say TA man. It is what made me want to build a rack from scratch in the first place. I bought a allready put together tack with a Studio preamp, 20/20, DOD EQ and a BBE. I liked it, but it was just not the tones I was looking for a TA, G-Force and a 2:90 the possibilities are endless. Really love it now. I have so many presets on my GC Pro and I never knew how great the Mark amps were. I was so used to the recto tones and never heard the old Mark stuff. So I was blown away by it. But as everyone says get ready to tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak some more. Takes time, but you can get what ever tone you want out of that combo. Here is mine:

l_f651dc9adc96d5810fb88d124531e051.jpg

I'm on the other side of the fence, I think the Studio has more tube tone and that over all tube warmth. But the beauty of music is only your ears can tell you whats right for you!! Good luck.

If I were in your situation I would just buy another studio pre and a/b them. Then you'd have 2 od's, 2 cleans, and 2 eq's to switch on/off with.

I believe the big acts who used Studio Pre's for live rigs (The Who, Nirvana, etc.) used at least two (not JUST for backups) to provide a massive selection of tone and switching capabilities.

2 studio pres could be an option since I run my rig through a GCX. Why not! I am still debatting on the TA tough.

gbsmusic said:
I'm on the other side of the fence, I think the Studio has more tube tone and that over all tube warmth. But the beauty of music is only your ears can tell you whats right for you!! Good luck.
I agree, but I admit I haven't tested a triaxis very deeply. Not a monster of versatility but a monster of tone, the Studio pre.

Latest posts

Back