removal of diamond plate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lailer75

Reaction score
any one been able to remove diamondplate off a recto WITHOUT any damage to it? i know to use a heat gun and pry it off, but i`m looking to powdercoat and replace it.

I too wanted to do this. Jerry over at FJA pretty much told me its not a good idea unless you have a replacement ready to put on. And after much research, I agree. Im just going to order a black one from Mesa (about $150) and then change it out.

keep us posted to what you do. If anything.

halfnote said:
why not just pull the head, tape the sh!t out of it and paint it in place?
because i don`t want to half *** it :lol: , i also plan on recovering the headshell and installing new black leather corners

It's a ***** to get off. I've done it twice. The first time, it came off with no damage at all. The second one split the thin plastic veneer behind it, and pulled off a layer of wood. Not visible when the diamond plate is installed though.

I took the chassis out of the head, laid it face down on the carpet, and used a hammer and a small 2x4 from behind. There's a little lip visible from the back, and I stuck the 2x4 on that lip and gave it a good whack. Once it broke loose, I was able to work the diamond plate off by sliding a screwdriver between it and the headshell and working it while pulling the diamond plate with my hand.

Takes a while, but if you're careful, you won't damage anything. I wasn't so careful the second time around.

...and that double sided tape is some sticky ****. The double sided tape you can buy at the store doesn't even come close to being as strong as what Mesa uses.

fluff191 said:
I too wanted to do this. Jerry over at FJA pretty much told me its not a good idea unless you have a replacement ready to put on. And after much research, I agree. Im just going to order a black one from Mesa (about $150) and then change it out.

keep us posted to what you do. If anything.

You're ordering just the diamond plate from Mesa, or a new headshell? I was under the impression headshells with the black diamond plate could go for 6-700 dollars.

Latest posts

Back