Remembering old times

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
I've been rediscovering stryper thanx to youtube. And for those looking for a wicked boogie tone listen to them guitars on the track " soldiers under command "studio version. This guitartone made me switch from drums to guitar. It's a c + with a furman pq 3 in front and it's the epitomy of a buzzsaw. Everytime I hear this tone I'm stuck with a big old stupid grin on my face.
:D :D :D :D

Metallica is getting way to much credit IMO for master of puppets, Shure it sounds wicked but stryper's got THE BITE in their tone.

And now I'm getting some more beer :lol:

Man,

I do remember Strypers tone being freaking incredible. Didn't even know they used the 2C+

Wooah and crazy thing is Stryper is playing in a small club in the PA area...I always wanted one of those Bengal stripe guitars in the day...soooooooooooooo i had one made last year
RGjam.jpg

I like the strat style better though............................

It's cool to see some love for stryper. Christians or not it's that friggin guitartone. ( and the bumblebee outfits :mrgreen: )

Back in the day, I saw TNT, Loudness, and Stryper on tour in Nashville. I believe it was their "To Hell with the Devil" tour. The ticket price was about $14.00 if I remember correctly. I recall being VERY impressed with Akira Takasaki of Loudness. There are lots of people that sound good in the studio..... and can't cut it live. You guys know what I'm saying. Good times, indeed. :D

FWIW, their "Against the Law" tone is MUCH better IMO. Could have much to do with the production, though.

The tone on the THWTD album blew my mind when I first heard it in 1987!

Here's an interesting thing...

In a couple of interviews in some guitar magazines I read some years ago, James Hetfield gave credit to Stryper's "To hell with the Devil" album for the tight guitar sound Metallica got on ...And Justice and onwards...

But I also remember him saying he didn't care too much for the background vocals though! haha

But it's nice when these guys are honest like this, giving credit, and all...

Too bad most Metallica fans have no idea about this....

Both bands used M/B Strategy power amps on these albums. Stryper must've been amongst the first, if not the first major artist, to use this power amp, back in the day (1986!).

I still listen to the Soldiers under Command and Against the Law albums as well.

They were great live, here in Australia as well.

Stryper will always be known for their unique & radical tone.

JOEY B. said:
Back in the day, I saw TNT, Loudness, and Stryper on tour in Nashville. I recall being VERY impressed with Akira Takasaki of Loudness. There are lots of people that sound good in the studio..... and can't cut it live.

Saw Loudness at The Keystone Palo Alto, CA. That dude rocked!! He had some big rack rig,... don't what kind of amp though.

Ok I looked for stryper on youtube and their tone is AWESOME :p (though I'm not into metal)

I like whitesnake's boogie tone more though...

On the In God we trust album by stryper, Oz fox was using a mesa quad preamp with the strategy power amp that was modded by randall smith himself to give it more low end thud or ooomph in oz's words.

Yeah and to be fair to Metallica they are a huge factor in the way heavy guitars sound today.

The first pic looks like Sunday supper at my noni's house.........had a few black caddy's parked out front too.... :lol:

That was a long, long time ago.

druckpig said:
pie4peace said:
Ok I looked for stryper on youtube and their tone is AWESOME :p (though I'm not into metal)

I would luuurve to know what boogies sykes used for definite

I'm pretty sure Sykes was using as follows Les Paul >Marshall jcm 800 head >Mesa Stragety power amp> Cabs.

I wouldn't bet my life on this but I'm pretty sure that's the way he did it.

Geiri said:
druckpig said:
pie4peace said:

I would luuurve to know what boogies sykes used for definite

I'm pretty sure Sykes was using as follows Les Paul >Marshall jcm 800 head >Mesa Stragety power amp> Cabs.

I wouldn't bet my life on this but I'm pretty sure that's the way he did it.

John Sykes and his old Les Paul Custom would sound good through a Gorilla practice amp with a melted voice coil. Tone IS in the fingers, Sykes is living proof. 8)

JOEY B. said:
Back in the day, I saw TNT, Loudness, and Stryper on tour in Nashville. I believe it was their "To Hell with the Devil" tour. The ticket price was about $14.00 if I remember correctly. I recall being VERY impressed with Akira Takasaki of Loudness.

Ohh the irony.

I just brought my old Loudness, "Lightning Strikes" CD to work yesterday.

Akira is freaking amazing.

Back in the day I thought i used boogie, and I'm pretty sure at one time he did, maybe even on the Lightning strikes album.

BUt I think he ended up playing Metaltronix stuff as well.

Regardless, that guy can play!

You want to hear some Killer Sykes stuff, check out the (ca 1986 or so) Thin Lizzy show they've been running on VH1 Classic, specifically "Cold Sweat" (not the James Brown tune,by any means). "We Are the One" is also screamin'.

I saw a show in KC in Oct 1984 at the Fairgrounds...Helix, Whitesnake and Quiet Riot was the headliner. Nothing against Carlos Cavezo, but Sykes (and the 'Snake) dusted the stage with QR & Helix. Cioverdale had very strong stage presence, Tommy Aldridge smoked the drums, but Sykes was awe-inspiring. He sounded like 2 or 3 guitarists up there.

I used to work the stage at our towns local auditorium. I got to see Stryper twice (And worked load in) and Loudness once, with Cinderella and Poison. (Load in and out as well).
Stryper had the most metal tones coming out of these little Boogies amps that us Metal Heads have ever heard. I think the singer (Michael Sweet) used a 2C 1X12 and Oz used a little rack of pre-amps into a strategy power amp. All cabs were hidden behind a big "Bee" curtain.
Loudness was crazy good and Akira used some little rack gizmos into a modded 100 watt Plexi that was so loud coming off the stage, the pit crew was starting to get sick from the volume, even though we all had foam ear plugs. We all thought it was cool that he had a three man tech crew just for his guitar stuff, and neither of the three spoke any english. Cinderella was a good band with standard Marshall fare, Poison, well, lets just say they spent more on hair products than strings. I did catch Sykes when he came to town in Blue Murder (His band after he got the boot from Whitesnake) and from what I could see it looked like an old 4 hole Marshall on 10 with his black Les Paul. John had a bad night that show and they had to stop/start the second song because everybody screwed up, but after that it was one of my favorite guitar shows.
Man I'm old.

Latest posts

Back