refinishing a guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMGguitarist

Reaction score
hey guys... I've decided I want to take my PRS SE Tremonti and give it new life. This means a fresh finish, new parts, as well as some new electronics. While I'm at it I'm going to do some work on the body. I have two main questions: 1. Does anyone know about what the typical woodgrain looks like on a prs SE unfinished? Id hate to remove all the paint with a hopeful stain in mind just to find out its all knotty... 2. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement bridge for the PRS or would I have to call PRS for one? Does a warmoth one work on the make as well?

You can expect to find a multi-piece body that's not necessarily centered. I'd stick with a solid color.

+1 on the wood underneath. As far as the bridge, you'll probably have to order one through a PRS dealer. That stop tail/wrap around design they use is proprietary to them and I doubt Warmouth or any other parts place will have it. There's one dealer online I've seen with PRS parts gtrheaven.com but I'll tell you this much....a genuine US made PRS stop tail bridge is going to be $$.

i dont know what the mody will look like but the neck will look something like this:
IMGP0406.jpg

i sanded mine down and did a tung oil finish

Commander Coo1 said:
i dont know what the mody will look like but the neck will look something like this:
IMGP0406.jpg

i sanded mine down and did a tung oil finish
thats sweet. i really wanna reshape the neck on my se but im stupid so you wanna tell me the process you went through to do that. super sweet job

Arent those bridges a wilkenson. I think that you can get em pretty much anywhere. Although the colors are limited. You could measure the space between the posts and make sure that it will fit. I know the higher end prs`s are diffrent. As far as the body its prolly multi piece. But i bet you could do a very dark and deep tint coat and many of them. maybe that would cover that up. you will probably see it either way. Stewmac.com has the some of those supplies. o yea if you plan to reclear the guitar mahogany takes quite a bit to fill the grain. so you should use a grain filler, I recommend an oil base stuff. If you plan to reshape the make sure any adjustments you make will be consistent so the neck bow will remain the same. You should def take it to luthier after you do it to set her up. Or if you are feeling confident.
projectguitar.com :wink:

i sanded it with 220 grit paper, until wood just shows through, then i sanded with 400 grit paper then i applied 3 coats of tung oil following the instructions on the can, then i lightly sanded again with wet 400 paper

Now I know for sure I am sanding down the back side of my Cort! Thanks for the info on how you did this.

Back