redwitch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
must I buy two... the witch is evil

If you can only get *one*- the Redwitch is a great choice- but really, check out the DLS....I was in the same place a couple of months ago...I am very happy with the DLS.....sooo warm and complimentary- doesn't "own" your tone, just enhances it (unless you want to set it up that way) ANYTHING from smooth to seasickening swirl is in there.
But, I gotta admit, the Redwitch is nice....
check out some demo videos on youtube- both of these units have very good demos from "proguitarshop.com"...

Good Luck- there are a bunch of options....

Laskyman

must I buy two... the witch is evil

If you can only get *one*- the Redwitch is a great choice- but really, check out the DLS....I was in the same place a couple of months ago...I am very happy with the DLS.....sooo warm and complimentary- doesn't "own" your tone, just enhances it (unless you want to set it up that way) ANYTHING from smooth to seasickening swirl is in there.
But, I gotta admit, the Redwitch is nice....
check out some demo videos on youtube- both of these units have very good demos from "proguitarshop.com"...

Good Luck- there are a bunch of options....

Laskyman

I've had my eye on the Red Witch Empress Chorus for awhile now but I'm having trouble spending that much dough on a chorus pedal that I won't use that often.

I got two DOA Red Witch Choruses and never got to hear one, but it made me question thier build quality. The guy at red witch, I forget his name offered to pay for shipping and fix it, but he is in New Zeland and I didn't want to wait. Not the same thing but I have a Diamond Halo Chorus and love it.

secretsoundz said:
I've had my eye on the Red Witch Empress Chorus for awhile now but I'm having trouble spending that much dough on a chorus pedal that I won't use that often.

I was a heavy rack user in the eighties and used chorus and compression on everything. Since about 1996 I have been straight-up simple user with just raw amp and minor delay use on a few songs and wah. When I do use the wah, 90% of the time it's for tone shaping....

Forward leap...
A few weeks ago I found my Boss CE-3 and decided to use it. I only put it to use on the ballads. BUT I did enjoy it. So I can NOT justify buying an expensive one save one thing... I'm getting older and deserve nice things.... (haha)

Weird about the build quality on them witches...

I am about ready to pul the trigger the DLS since it has been the one standing out against it for me. I will research the Diamond halo now. I am not familar with it at all.

I got one of his tremolos and it had really, really low headroom-- I had to return it, I couldn't use it. Under the right conditions it sounded great, but basically it could handle low instrument-level input and nothing else.

I've lived in NZ and the gear situation there is brutal, stuff is incredibly expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a pretty limited range of setups to test his pedals in.

There are a thousand chorus pedals to be had in this world, but only two that are worth having. One is the Red Witch, a fairly new player as far as chorus is concerned, the other is the TC Electronics Chorus. If you really want to hear them there are some good samples on You Tube, but either one would do fine. And a minor point, both of these pedals are used for more than just a chorus effect. Watch these demos and make up your own mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSlUUB4u-dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59StwzME0cc

There are a thousand chorus pedals to be had in this world, but only two that are worth having

Actually, there are quite a few "worth" having:

Retro-Sonic Chorus
Analogman Bichorus or Clone
Diamond Halo
DLS Ultra Chorus or Chorus Vibe

Its cool to have favorites, I know I do, but the TC and Redwitch have no more merit than the others I've listed. They all have strengths and typically with a higher end chorus, the only real "weakness" is in its price...

And a minor point, both of these pedals are used for more than just a chorus effect

As is ANY good chorus pedal. There are also some great youtube demos for the other chorus pedals I've listed.

My $.02....

Laskyman

Laskyman said:
There are a thousand chorus pedals to be had in this world, but only two that are worth having

Actually, there are quite a few "worth" having:

Retro-Sonic Chorus
Analogman Bichorus or Clone
Diamond Halo
DLS Ultra Chorus or Chorus Vibe

Its cool to have favorites, I know I do, but the TC and Redwitch have no more merit than the others I've listed. They all have strengths and typically with a higher end chorus, the only real "weakness" is in its price...

And a minor point, both of these pedals are used for more than just a chorus effect

As is ANY good chorus pedal. There are also some great youtube demos for the other chorus pedals I've listed.

My $.02....

Laskyman

I suppose in some ways you're correct in that Analogman makes a great chorus and the Diamond Halo should be considered worth having as well, but I'll point out the TC chorus hasn't remained a standard for over 25 years because it's pretty to look at. Buy once, cry once.

Another point I made was that there are many more uses for a chorus than just chorus, something most younger or inexperienced players are not aware of. reminding me is preaching to the choir. An example can be a national act I toured with who's lead player uses a TC for gain only into a Tremolux and has one of the best blues tones I've ever heard. Big warm thick tone all night long and not a hint of chorus at all.

I'll point out the TC chorus hasn't remained a standard for over 25 years because it's pretty to look at

Probably the most recorded chorus of all time- I am sure someone else here may know for sure. No doubt, it is a great sounding unit and is buletproof- definately inspired many builders....

Laskyman

For what it' worth, I got myself a Redwitch Empress chorus for Christmas. After days and days of playing around with it I had to return it. I think on a weaker sounding amp than a Boogie, the Redwitch would really beef up your tone and provide a nice full effect, but I could never really dial out the strong mids in the pedal which conflicted with the awesome cleans from my boogie which were already big and full. The Redwitch and the Boogie together were just too... too... well, too much for my liking.

What I was really after was a big breathy spacious chorus to enhance to the chimey cleans I get from my Express 5:50, lightening up the tone so I can float around the mix rather than pushing through the mix.

I'm going to try the Diamond Halo next, which was the "other" one I'd thought about and almost purchased, but I'm wondering if something else like the TC might be a better choice. I used to have a bunch of rack mounted gear with great choruses in them, but I'm all analog these days.

The search for tone continues.

Back