Red Plating Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavarius

Reaction score
Ok, so today I finally got a chance to crank up my IIC+ really loud, and after some time, I noticed that the far right EL34 was glowing red hot, (yes, only that one) and there was some humming noise coming through the speaker. I shut it off, then the fuse blew. So I changed the fuse and turned it on again, and everything was fine, but the blue lights on that tube weren't glowing the same way as in the other EL34 (neither as they used to glow before). I could see a blue light being turned on inside the plate as I flicked the standby switch, but the blue lights usually also light through the "holes" in the plate, if you know what I mean. And now they weren't.

So I put in a new tube to diagnose further, and it worked fine for a while (with the blue lights glowing normally), then at some point, when switching from Class A to Simul-Class, this one started red plating too. This time there was some serious "lighting" inside. Bright white and blue lighting and then fading into a bright red glow. I flicked the standby switch on and off, and it was doing the same thing again (squealing noises coming too through the speaker). I turned the amp on standby for a little longer, and the the tube was fine. But again, the blue lights weren't glowing as bright, and I noticed that the clean channel was going into overdrive unusually soon (4 and higher at Volume 1) I seem to remember that it had much more headroom before going into overdrive before this happened.

Then I switched places with the other EL34 on the other side, and the blue lights glowed bright as before (although a bit weaker on the tube that had red plated (now on the other side)) And so far the amp is fine, but I feel that it's only a matter of time before the good tube starts red plating.

Obviously, it couldn't have been bad tubes, right? (two brand new ones in a row?) So I guess there's something in the amp that's causing this. So how could I diagnose this further? What should I check? Bias caps?

And, the issue with the blue lights almost not glowing (or glowing differently, as I described before), does that mean the tube is dead? Could that be the cause of early overdrive?

Please help me out here. :(

Several guys here have reported cracked solder joint where the tube socket pin contacts connect to the circuit board. Sounds like an intermittent being affected when you wiggle the tubes around changing them in and out. You'll have to pull the chassis and carefully inspect the solder joints with a magnifying glass. Most likely would be pin 5, the grid contact. Also check the 270K coupling resistor going to that pin, could be opening up as it heats up. See if it looks burnt or swelled or different. If you own a DMM or volt meter check for about -47 volts on that pin. However judging from your post your experience may not be up for this as it requires the amp being powered up and this is dangerous for some. Good Luck

check the socket for signs of arcing. if there is an arc between two of your tube pins, 9 times out of 10 it will leave a black trail on the white tube socket. Could be a blown bias supply possibly?

I'll check carefully first thing tomorrow, as I don't have it right here. However, when I opened it up, nothing seemed burned or anything. No cracked resistors, or anything like that. But I'll check more closely tomorrow...

And no, I'm not to experienced with this, so I think I'll take it to a tech or something if the problem continues...

Personally, I'd take it to a tech even if the problem doesn't manifest itself again. Just to make sure its not going to rear its ugly head at a bad time, or come back worse and kill the amp

oh, and given the nature of the condition of your amp, ask the previous owner if he played it much. if not, you might need to have the caps reformed. they tend to go bad after about 20 years or so, especially if it hasn't been used.

Good point.

Boogiebabies was kind enough to make me a photo guide for what to check, though. :D So I'll look into that first.

Octavarius said:
Any thoughts on the sudden early overdrive in rhythm mode? :?

My mk III was over driving the clean channel when the volume was at a level that i new it wasn't normal.. i checked just about everything.. tubes to the guts and it ended up being a very dirty master volume pot! .. pot's can do this..

Shep said:
Octavarius said:
Any thoughts on the sudden early overdrive in rhythm mode? :?

My mk III was over driving the clean channel when the volume was at a level that i new it wasn't normal.. i checked just about everything.. tubes to the guts and it ended up being a very dirty master volume pot! .. pot's can do this..

It wasn't doing this before the tube issue, though. That's what's weird. :?

Latest posts

Back