Rectro 2x12 Cabinet with Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Reaction score
Just picked up a new 2x12 v30's horizontal rectro cab for my combo. What a difference.
Night and day I would say. The internal speaker on the combo sounded boxy.
I loved the amp before, the closed back 2x12 seems to be a perfect match.
I disconnected the internal speaker and am only using the 2x12. A big bonus is no tube rattle anymore. That rectifier tube is a noisy *******.

Have you tried to use the internal speaker and the 2x12 cab in parallel at the same time?
How does it sound?

With the C90 plugged in at the same time it kinda takes over. Without it the punch of the 2x12 is much more apparent.
The shrill of the C90 comes back, I will not be using that unless I have to grab and go with just the combo.

Funny....I do not share the same sentiments about the combo/speaker. I prefer that sound to that of the combo via the 2x12 Recto Cab. It is anything but Boxy...unless you are used to playing through an OS 2x12 or a 4x12...in which case any 1x12 combo will sound that way.

This amp and the Lonestar Series of amps are the best breed of Mesa's (I'm not into the Recto sound).

I wish that mesa still used the Electro voice 12" speakers in the combos.
I replaced my c-90 in my mark 4 combo and it made all of the differnce in the world.

Also the C-90 didnt stay in my Mark V combo 2 weeks and I replced it eith the Electro voice 12 .

My mark v sits on stage on top of a clsoed back recto cab with V 30s in it .
This gives a clean tight sound with the added crunch of the V 30s.

Ver pleased with this set up

wnlively

Ha... the old 80's Mesa catalogs used to describe the EV/Cel mix as "Tight Clean, plus Crunch Mean"! Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah! 8)

I'm a definite believer of that mix.

Latest posts

Back