Rectoverb vs Roadster Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanenski

Reaction score
I've played the ROV combo and liked it. I haven't heard the Roadster 112 combo, still waiting for its arrival in store.

If you've heard them both and money is not an issue, would you pick the roadster over the ROV? I realize both are heavy. Roadster is 4 channel vs 2 for ROV. Is the ROV pushed channel 1 the same as the Fat mode on the Roadster?

The ROV has a C90 speaker and the Roadster has a V30. Does that make a significant difference in the tone? I've also read some concerns about reverb delay (when switching channels) as well as channel switching delay with the Roadster and overall displeasure with the Brit mode on the Roadster. Any dislikes on the ROV?

Bottom line, if you like the ROV, do you like the Roadster even more?

Thanks

I own a ROV combo and have a Roadster Head & 4x12 on order.
I love the ROV I'm just upgrading to the roadster because you can select between 50/100 watts and 4 chanel's. I have played through the 2x12 roadster and I think it sounded great. You can get every sound that the ROV can do with the roadster.

IMO get the ROADSTER.

I would say regardless.... Your not going to go wrong if you can spare an additional 500-800 bucks to get the roadster--! :wink:

Is the ROV pushed channel 1 the same as the Fat mode on the Roadster?

No, the Pushed on a ROV is what it sounds like... A clean amp that is pushed to tube overdrive but not a whole lot. Almost a Tubescreamer type of drive. The FAT mode on the Roadster and RK's is still clean but really bumps up the lows and low mids to make it "Fat" sounding. I hated this channel at first and found it useless, but I have since tweaked it to where it is my favorite.

As for the reverb delay when switching channels, yes there is a 2-4 second delay before the reverb kicks in. This is in most of the new Boogies, from about 2002 on up.

I had a ROV and it always sounded a bit "Flabby" to my ears, I even went as far as to swap out speakers and that still didn't help. It sounded fine through a 2x12 closed back cab but the combo always sounded flabby.

I'd say go for the Roadster or even a Road King II (or series 1) over a Rectoverb unless money is an issue? Plus the Roadster combos are closed back, which helps with low end Flabbiness.

I gladly went from a series II RoV to a Roadster.

Overall, I think the Roadster is more flexible in the Recto tone region, thanks to its back panel options. The two first preamps really got a vintage vibe. The 2nd preamp apparently it built for EL34, but still you can squeeze interesting tones from it.
Indeed better reverb. The spongy/bold switch is one of my favorite feature, gets a totally different feel. I love the tuner out. I find it sounds ok at lower volumes. Better than the RoV anyways.

Jf

Back