Rectoverb Transformer Upgrade?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spkrdotr

Reaction score
I just bought a used Rectoverb Series 2 Combo and my son had a go at it with his metal chops. The bass was buzzing and distorted. We tried a matched pair of Sylvania 6L6GC but no improvement. We switched to JJ EL34L and it improved quite a bit, especially through a Marshall 1960A 4x12. But it still seems to be lacking in low-end grunt. In comparison, an Ampeg V4 would rip your head off through that cabinet and my son's C-tuning.

The output transformer seems rather small for a 50 watt amp, and looks remarkably like the ones in a Mesa 50/50 power amp. I suspect it is the limitation.

Has anyone tried an upgraded output transformer in a Rectifier amp? Anyone care to share the specs of the transformer?

Thanks!

Matthew

Have you tried different preamp tubes? Different power tubes? Try a set of =C= 6L6 's. I tried a lot of different power tubes and I really like the winged =C=. Try a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1. I hated the tubes in my new Recto. I am also running a 4X12 cab with my Recto-Verb. Two vintage 30's and 2 Greenbacks wired in an X pattern. Greenies on top. Through my Les Paul it really kicks. I scoop out the mids on the amp. The closed back cabinet really helps to push the bottom end. I find the JJ's really lack in bottom end.

dennq45 said:
Have you tried different preamp tubes? Different power tubes? Try a set of =C= 6L6 's.

I am not familiar with =C= power tubes---is that a BRAND? I have a box of tubes and always relied on the vintage Sylvania 6L6GC for the best balance of power and complexity. The amp came with 5881WXT, which are much darker sounding but maybe the OEM trans is better suited to that type of tube. It seems that any power tube is loose in this amp.

I have EH tubes in the preamp now with an NOS GE 12AX7 (closely matched sides) in the phase inverter position. I guess it makes sense to try different V1 and V5 tubes. I will try a Mullard, Tesla, and Telefunken smooth-plate.

Thanks for your help. I see you have a Rivera---I love my Thirty-Twelve!

Matthew

Trace at Voodoo Amps sells the Mercury Magnetics transformers that would work in the ROV head. I contacted MM a few months ago concerning upgrading to one of their transformers and they directed me to Voodoo saying that he had the most experience with Mesas and would know what works best.

Back