Rectoverb Head (Series 1) not switching Vintage/Modern

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markdude

Reaction score
I recently bought my friend's Rectoverb head (Series 1). When it arrived, I had a little bit of trouble putting in the preamp tubes (I couldn't see the sockets because the gap between the top of the headshell and the chassis was too small) and I either exerted too much force on them (struggling when they weren't lined up properly - hey, it's been years since I've owned a tube amp :lol: ) OR they went bad during shipping, but I was getting no sound when I turned the amp on (other than a bit of hiss when I'd crank up the master). I put new preamp tubes in it (JJs and a Tung Sol in V1) and now it seems to be working fine...except the amp doesn't seem to be switching between Vintage and Modern mode. The tone is exactly the same regardless of what the switch is set to. I think it's stuck in Vintage mode since the gain structure is pretty fluid and I can be pretty generous with the Presence setting. Because of this, and because of the first batch of preamp tubes not working, I'm wondering if something got messed up during shipping.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening? Does anyone familiar with the schematics know what the issue might be? Switching between Clean and Pushed on the green channel works fine, by the way.

EDIT: I also should clarify - I had played this particular amp at my friend's house a few months prior to buying it (it was shipped because he lives 250 miles away, but I played it when visiting him) and everything indeed worked properly then.

Gnarkill3k6 said:
don't know the answer...

But, now you know why he sold it :twisted:

Actually, he wasn't purposely trying to sell it. I like the amp so I asked him if he'd sell it to me. But as previously mentioned, I've played it in person before and know that it worked fine, so the problem seems to have occurred during shipping. I would have picked it up myself, but he lives 250 miles away. However, I've done some research and also e-mailed a tech and it looks like the problem may be due to LDRs going bad, so maybe it'll be a simple fix.

Back